• Topic Count:  2,380
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,067
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Dear All

It is with regret that I inform you that Gary Witcomb has decided to step down from managing the Coming Events section.

When Gary agreed to take on the task (Please see http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/topic/71444-coming-events-changes/),it was made very clear that it was down to the members to supply and input the information, with Gary overseeing the database. This hasn't happened and Gary has been left with the tedious, time consuming, thankless task of inputting virtually all of the events. This is too big a task for one person. Gary has put a heck of a lot of hours into the Coming Events, but now feels it is too much, and I completely understand and support his decision.

I would like to thank Gary for all his hard work this year - THANK YOU!!

Where do we go from here? I've thought about this for a couple of days, and consulted the Moderator Team, and, as it stands at the moment, that appears to be the end of the Coming Events.

A Coming Events section compiled and supported by the members has failed. It is too much for one person to do, yet the coming events is a much needed feature.

Do YOU have any suggestions as to where we go from here?

Any input gratefully recieved.

Regards

Bill

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  728
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,391
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  2,573
  • Days Won:  125

Been replaced by current fair posters ive found that hepful this year (although not as detailed as coming events)

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7

Been replaced by current fair posters ive found that hepful this year (although not as detailed as coming events)

The Posters was never intended to replace the Coming Events, but was supposed to be another source of info for the coming events.

If we can't find a way of maintaining the coming events, the posters will be of some use, but is nowhere near as comprehensive!

Owain Williams

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  219
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

I agree with Gary Butland, I think instead of having one person doing it, is to make it a regional thing. I've tried to add as many South Wales events as I know of this year and I think if we have a few people in charge of various areas around the UK it could work, with maybe one person just overseeing it. Could we not have a map and we could click on the area and it takes us to all events for that area? Gary Witcombe has done an amazing job this year and it's because of this facility that I've managed to visit over 100 fairs this year, a lot of which have been outside South Wales due to this facility. Personally It would be a shame to lose it. Hope we can find a solution soon. Regards :)

• Like 1

I agree with Gary Butland, I think instead of having one person doing it, is to make it a regional thing. I've tried to add as many South Wales events as I know of this year and I think if we have a few people in charge of various areas around the UK it could work, with maybe one person just overseeing it. Could we not have a map and we could click on the area and it takes us to all events for that area? Gary Witcombe has done an amazing job this year and it's because of this facility that I've managed to visit over 100 fairs this year, a lot of which have been outside South Wales due to this facility. Personally It would be a shame to lose it. Hope we can find a solution soon. Regards :)

The map idea is a good idea, however there isn't that facility within the forum. It would mean researching additional software and would be 'outside' of the forum. Having 'areas' could be considered, but relies on having one for each area, someone reliable and willing and deciding how to set up the areas.

One of the problems I think is affecting the Coming Events database is that, although it is part of the forum software, it is outside of the forum and this may prevent members using it and contributing to it.

One possible way forward would be to put coming events into the forum.

Create a "Coming Events" forum with 12 sub-forums, January to December. Each event could be a new topic - the topic title would be the County & Date. The post would contain details of the event, as many as we have. Members could reply to the post with additional information. Members could also reply with a lot of the inquiries we currently get in the General Message Forum - "Anyone know what is going to be at Hull?", "Will there be a Booster at Leeds?", "Anything new at Nottingham this year?" etc.

The advantages would be that the events would be in the forum, would show up on "View New Content", would encourage discussion and possibly more information. They would be searchable and importantly, part of the forum. Members, could if they choose, add events from their area of expertise. We could also keep previous years in an archive and cross link events to previous event entries and current and historic funfair reports. The poster (if available) could be attached to the event. We could even consider adding events we DON'T have details for - example, If I know Finchley Carnival is in July, I could create the post without a date in the hope someone would reply with details. The more I see the advantages, the more I like it :)

However, this system would still require the members to supply the information. I'm pretty sure that between us, combining our knowledge, we could list 99% of fairs in the Country, it's just a matter of getting members to participate!

• Group:  Supporter
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  238
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Days Won:  3

I agree that it is an excellent resource and would also like to thank Gary for this tremendous efforts.

I must say however, that there's been a several times I wanted a list of upcoming fair but could never remember where it is, currently it doesn't seem to be accessed from the most obvious location (under the 'More' menu). Also, as it doesn't appear within the main forum streams, you don't realise how up-to-date and detailed it is. I would hazard a guest that some members may not even be aware of its existence - which would be a shame. If it was at the top of the forum, or combined with the calendar I think it would get much more use/exposure.

The current format is great, its clear and easy to to understand.

• Like 2

I agree that it is an excellent resource and would also like to thank Gary for this tremendous efforts.

I must say however, that there's been a several times I wanted a list of upcoming fair but could never remember where it is, currently it doesn't seem to be accessed from the most obvious location (under the 'More' menu). Also, as it doesn't appear within the main forum streams, you don't realise how up-to-date and detailed it is. I would hazard a guest that some members may not even be aware of its existence - which would be a shame. If it was at the top of the forum, or combined with the calendar I think it would get much more use/exposure.

The current format is great, its clear and easy to to understand.

I appreciate your point. The Coming Events isn't set up as default as under the "More" menu. It doesn't appear that way on my PC. However, when your browser displays the page, if there is insufficient room for all the top menu items, it puts them under "More".

Last time we were here I considered using the calendar, however the calendar is designed for a small number of events - once you get more than half a dozen on a day it becomes almost impossible to use

Thefodenenthusiast

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  190
  • Achievement Points:  194
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1997

The map idea is a good idea, however there isn't that facility within the forum. It would mean researching additional software and would be 'outside' of the forum. Having 'areas' could be considered, but relies on having one for each area, someone reliable and willing and deciding how to set up the areas.

One of the problems I think is affecting the Coming Events database is that, although it is part of the forum software, it is outside of the forum and this may prevent members using it and contributing to it.

One possible way forward would be to put coming events into the forum.

Create a "Coming Events" forum with 12 sub-forums, January to December. Each event could be a new topic - the topic title would be the County & Date. The post would contain details of the event, as many as we have. Members could reply to the post with additional information. Members could also reply with a lot of the inquiries we currently get in the General Message Forum - "Anyone know what is going to be at Hull?", "Will there be a Booster at Leeds?", "Anything new at Nottingham this year?" etc.

The advantages would be that the events would be in the forum, would show up on "View New Content", would encourage discussion and possibly more information. They would be searchable and importantly, part of the forum. Members, could if they choose, add events from their area of expertise. We could also keep previous years in an archive and cross link events to previous event entries and current and historic funfair reports. The poster (if available) could be attached to the event. We could even consider adding events we DON'T have details for - example, If I know Finchley Carnival is in July, I could create the post without a date in the hope someone would reply with details. The more I see the advantages, the more I like it :)

However, this system would still require the members to supply the information. I'm pretty sure that between us, combining our knowledge, we could list 99% of fairs in the Country, it's just a matter of getting members to participate!

That sounds to me a good idea :)

• Like 1

I appreciate your point. The Coming Events isn't set up as default as under the "More" menu. It doesn't appear that way on my PC. However, when your browser displays the page, if there is insufficient room for all the top menu items, it puts them under "More".

Last time we were here I considered using the calendar, however the calendar is designed for a small number of events - once you get more than half a dozen on a day it becomes almost impossible to use

Ahhh ok makes sense! I just need a bigger screen! ;)

I would happily do the data for the home counties area, if it responsibilty is divided geographically.

Although i do find it amazing how Gary finds all this information, so perhaps as part of the hand over he can give us a bit of guidance on how he sources all the data..

• Like 4
Thefodenenthusiast

Another idea occurred to me last night, - we could have a "Coming Events Requests" section where members could post things like "where is Bob Wilsons booster right now?", or "What funfairs is Perry Hatwell doing this summer?", or "What are the dates for Hebborns May bank holiday fair?". Members who new could reply to posts with the information, or correct errors. Or they could just post a coming event they knew of. Once again, it would be down to members to amend incorrect information if they knew - 100% members responsibility to maintain a correct database - if you see an incorrect post and you know the correct info, POST IT!

This would be similar to the current funfair reports - it would be a part of the "main forum" rather than situated in the menu bar at the top of the forum where for some people it comes under the "more" option. Hence many more people would know of its presence and it would get much more input.

I shall leave it to the admin team to decide what is best :)

Another idea occurred to me last night, - we could have a "Coming Events Requests" section where members could post things like "where is Bob Wilsons booster right now?", or "What funfairs is Perry Hatwell doing this summer?", or "What are the dates for Hebborns May bank holiday fair?". Members who new could reply to posts with the information, or correct errors. Or they could just post a coming event they knew of. Once again, it would be down to members to amend incorrect information if they knew - 100% members responsibility to maintain a correct database - if you see an incorrect post and you know the correct info, POST IT!

This would be similar to the current funfair reports - it would be a part of the "main forum" rather than situated in the menu bar at the top of the forum where for some people it comes under the "more" option. Hence many more people would know of its presence and it would get much more input.

I shall leave it to the admin team to decide what is best :)

We used to have a "Where Is?" Forum which pretty much covers your idea. However, the members felt that there were too many forums and the Moderator Team spent a lot of time moving posts from the General Forum to the Where is - it wasn't as successful as we'd hoped it would be.

I suggested above that a "Coming Events" forum could incorporate events where details weren't know - that idea could be expanded to pretty much cover what you suggest!

Richard Furniss

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  844
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  844
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  16/01/1943

When the lists of steam rallies and similar events for 2016, most of which include a funfair amongst their attractions, are published, I would be happy to post these in a coming events forum.

• Like 4

I've set up a "test" Coming Events Forum which will (hopefully) give you a better idea of my vision than words :)

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/488-coming-events-test-forum/

Thefodenenthusiast

I've set up a "test" Coming Events Forum which will (hopefully) give you a better idea of my vision than words :)

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/488-coming-events-test-forum/

Err... Shall I put something in it? :)

Err... Shall I put something in it? :)

No need, I'm just adding replies to show how it could work.

However, if you have any suggestions, then feel free to add to the test post :)

Thefodenenthusiast

Looking good to me :)

Looks good and would be nice to tidy up like this. But one thing that may be problematic is the order? The current coming events is very clear and you can easily find what you want with it in date order. Is there a risk this forum could become a bit jumbled??

Mark D. B. Jones

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  298
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  298
  • Days Won:  1

I have to say a HUGE thank you to Gary. I can only think of one fun fair I have visited so far this year that Gary didn't know about (and I think both I am him were amazed by that).

Unfortunately I only knew about the one fun fair in question at short notice.

If I hear about any more (most likely to be in the Midlands or East & South Wales) I may be able to add them in future, but sometimes don't get a chance to spend time on this forum for a few days at a time.

• Like 1

Looks good and would be nice to tidy up like this. But one thing that may be problematic is the order? The current coming events is very clear and you can easily find what you want with it in date order. Is there a risk this forum could become a bit jumbled??

Yes, that will be the big downside to this solution.

However, I am struggling to find a solution that satisfies all the requirements.

From a search/sort perspective, the online database as used by the online rides list & juvenile list would be the best option. However it is outside the forum, isn't as easy to access and still leaves us with the data input problem.

From a search/sort perspective, the current list is OK, but is still outside the forum and has the data input problem.

A forum based solution is in the forum and easy to add to and correct, but doesn't offer such a good search/sort option. I was thinking that the Topic Title could be the County and the forum sorted by Topic Title, so All the Bedfordshire Events would be listed together. Far from ideal I know, but at this stage we are struggling to put out ANY Coming Events list.

Another thing is - If/When members start adding loads of events to the Forum, they will show up under "View New Content" - this could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your interests!

I'm open to suggestions :)

• Group:  No Longer A Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  630
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  19/12/1977

i think the new ideas will make the coming events more usable for example afterdrak i have taken pics for a few years of the events build up so could have input on what might come etc

Adam Bradford

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  36
  • Achievement Points:  37
  • Birthday:  16/06/1978

I'm happy to help out if someone can point me into the direction of where to source the dates from. ?

I think that the current database is awesome but should be linked to within the top forum pages so that its easier to find and navigate to.

I'm happy to help out if someone can point me into the direction of where to source the dates from. ?

I think that the current database is awesome but should be linked to within the top forum pages so that its easier to find and navigate to.

Coming events are sourced from a variety of places:-

World's Fair (Ground to let)

Social Media Sites of Showmen & Enthusiasts

Funfair Posters

Personal Knowledge

I'm not sure how the link to Coming Events can be made any "easier to find"

post-2-0-30485400-1446461691_thumb.jpg

I've now added a few "Live Events" to a "Test" November 2015 Forum to give a better idea of layout

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/489-november-2015-test/

Darren Mark Butler

• Topic Count:  526
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,868
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  1,868
  • Days Won:  80
  • Birthday:  29/07/1988

I would be happy helping with the Coming Events if people had their own sections. If that was the case I would be happy to do the Midlands etc if that was an option,

I am unsure of how members doing their own areas would translate in practical use.

Perhaps those who have suggested this could detail how they see it working in practice?

How do we decide the areas?

If I have details of an event I want added, would this mean I need to look at a list, decide which area, find out who's area that is and then send them a PM asking them to add the event? (If people don't bother posting about events now, I can't see this being more successful)

What happens if we don't get a volunteer for a certain area?

If a member posted details of an event without going through that Area Rep, are we saying it should be deleted?

If the Area Rep was unavailable (holiday, family commitment etc) does that mean that, for a short time, we couldn't add events?

I appreciate this may sound negative - It isn't, I just need to understand how this would work more successfully than all members posting events they know or hear about.