• Topic Count:  2,394
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,948
  • Content Per Day:  0.89
  • Achievement Points:  7,169
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Dear All

As detailed in a post at http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/topic/81600-coming-events/, the Coming Events Forums used for 2016 haven't been as successful as we'd hoped with members seemingly reluctant to share details of events they know about. The Coming Event's Forums will be deleted on 31/12/17.

For 2017 I will be researching, compiling and maintaining a list of Coming Events available to all registered members of this forum. I have looked at several methods of compiling and presenting the list and the Moderator's and Forum Panel have been testing and commenting on the method that I've chosen. 

Given the large number of events each year, and the fact that it has been considered too big a job for one person, the primary consideration for choosing a method was ease and speed of data entry. Also considered was how easy it was to access and use. To this end I will be using a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet. The Spreadsheet is stored on my Microsoft OneDrive and will be available to all forum members.

At it's simplest one mouse click will give you a list of events that I know about so far for 2017. However, as it's a Spreadsheet the data can be viewed in various ways so you can find and list the events which you are interested in.The data in the Spreadsheet can be searched, sorted, filtered and downloaded and instructions are provided. It has been tested with Windows PC's, a Mac, Windows Phone, Android Phone, iPhone and iPad (many thanks to those who helped with testing) - functionality does vary, but the list is available across all devices and platforms.

The file is READ ONLY - all updating will be done by myself directly on the live file. By clicking the link supplied, you will always have access to the latest information.

The 2017 Coming Events are in a new forum at http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/529-coming-events-2017/ - In this forum currently are two posts - one contains the link to the list, the other contains instructions for it's use.

Please take the time to read the instructions before accessing the list - it will give details of how to get the best out of the list.

What can YOU do?

• If I miss an event or you can correct or update any details, please post in the Coming Event's Forum, send me a Private Message or Email comingevents@fun-fairs.co.uk
  • If you can offer help in working on the file let me know (The time you offer is negotiable. Data input is tedious and you should only offer if you are willing to stick at it for a while)
  • Offer feedback on the storage/presentation 
  • Offer feedback on the instructions

I will research and input as many events as I am able to, but the success or failure of this method will still rely on YOU! It is vital that if I miss an event, or there are errors that you let me know! 

All the best

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7

In an effort to make the Coming Events as comprehensive as possible, I am looking for additional sources of Coming Events.

So far I will be making use of the World's Fair (ground to let & Guild notices) and our Facebook Group which is currently well supported.

I would also like to compile a list of Showmen's Websites and Facebook groups, where Events are advertised.

If you can assist with links, it would be much appreciated!

Also, if you are friendly with your local Showmen, and can ask for a list of events they will be attending, that would also be useful. They can email me direct (comingevents@fun-fairs.co.uk) or pass the info through you.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Many thanks

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Although the Coming Events is titled "2017", all the events I know about from 2016's Coming Events forums are in the file so technically Coming Events is now "live" :)

If you know of ANY event, this year or next, please let me know so I can add them. 

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the Coming Events list is progressing well.

There are 23 current events listed and 146 events listed in total.

If you are aware of ANY event not listed, or can add any detail to any event already listed, please LET ME KNOW! - PM, post in the Coming Events Forum, reply here, email (comingevents@fun-fairs.co.uk) - whatever, as long as I get the info :) 

• 3 months later...
Bill Edwards

Could I please ask that all members who know about events check if they are listed in the Coming Events file and if they aren't listed please let me know. I'm putting a lot of effort into the list and it's disappointing when the first I know of an event is when a fair report appears!

The minimum information I need is DATE, TOWN & COUNTY. The location, post code and lessee/organiser are useful, but not essential.

Many thanks to all those who have supported the Coming Events - I think we've been successful so far :)

• 4 months later...
Colinrhooper

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  184
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  188
  • Days Won:  15

On 03/12/2016 at 21:28, Bill Edwards said:

Although the Coming Events is titled "2017", all the events I know about from 2016's Coming Events forums are in the file so technically Coming Events is now "live" :)

If you know of ANY event, this year or next, please let me know so I can add them. 

Bridgewater fair Wednesday 27th September to Saturday 30th September 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  General Moderator
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  9,406
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  9,892
  • Days Won:  172
  • Birthday:  16/03/1951

50 minutes ago, Colinrhooper said: