• Topic Count:  2,387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,888
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,113
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Dear All

The software that the forum uses is going to be upgraded soon. I have a "test" install separate to this forum as I look at and test some of the new features.

The software is basically the same as we are using now, with a couple of extra features and enhanced usability. There will be no learning curve to use the new software :)

The intention is to pretty much leave things as they are with regard to new features, but there are a couple of features that I believe will enhance the forum.

The most exciting one (in my view) is a feature called "Clubs". (Please see https://invisioncommunity.com/news/new-clubs-r1017/ if you want to know more.)  This will enable the forum to almost have a site within the site with its own Forum(s), Leader, Moderator etc. We could enable this to allow all members to create clubs as they want, but both I and the forum panel believe this will lead to duplication and a muddling of our current setup. However, we believe that if implemented in a controlled way it could be very useful. For instance, some of our lesser used forums could be converted to clubs - my initial thought was the Circus forum would be a good candidate. Member's with fairground interests that are less popular could also run clubs - off the top of my head, say a 1/48th model club, Carter's Club etc. I would expect members to take responsibility for their club so it doesn't add to the work of the Moderator Team. Obviously, the clubs would need to be introduced in a controlled manner and the exact mechanics of this haven't been decided yet - but I think the possibilities are exciting.

The other thing that now becomes a built-in feature of the software is Facebook type reactions. These are very much like the add on we tried (and removed) a while ago. As well as like/thank there are other reactions built in. They weren't popular with a small minority of members who felt that negative/neutral reactions were being given when not deserved. I've no desire to get back into the situation where Moderators were expected to referee "I didn't deserve a neutral rating for my post" type complaints, but the systems allows for better feedback on posts and works well on Facebook - just something to consider at this stage - the software can be customised to be identical to our current system if required.

A full list of features is available at https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community-42-r1030/ but I STRESS we have no plans (at this stage) to make big changes. Although I have a test install until the software is installed here it will be difficult to see what will work for us.

The software is currently in Beta testing and is due to be released with the next few weeks.

Regards

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Bill Edwards

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7

Does anyone have any suggestions to put forward with regards to clubs (see above)?

Gary Witcomb

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  688
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  4,748
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  4,751
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  17/03/1964

12 minutes ago, Bill Edwards said:

Does anyone have any suggestions to put forward with regards to clubs (see above)?

do we have to have them set up before the new software goes live ?? or can they be added as ans when after we go live 

Bill Edwards

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7

8 minutes ago, Gary Witcomb said:

do we have to have them set up before the new software goes live ?? or can they be added as ans when after we go live 

No, they can be added anytime after the new software is installed