• Topic Count:  2,387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,888
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,113
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Dear All

Although I don't have the exact date, I started All The Fun Of The Fair in 1997, so this year it is 20 years old.

The site started as a static page written entirely in HTML. I've found a "Web Archive" from 1999 at https://web.archive.org/web/19991127123329/http://fun-fairs.co.uk:80/

oldsite.png

I want to thank, from the bottom of my heart EVERYONE who has contributed to the success of the site over the years - The Administrators & Moderators who work behind the scenes to keep everything running smoothly, the members past & present who have contributed words, advise, photos, information etc and the Forum Supporters who, by enabling me to pay the hosting bill, ensure the forum stays free and available for the majority of members.

Although I run the site and the Administrators & Moderators assist, without YOU THE MEMBERS contributing there wouldn't be a site!

Thank You All & Happy Birthday :)

All the best

Bill

Gary Witcomb

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  688
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  4,748
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  4,751
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  17/03/1964

Well it come a very long way in 20 years, (i'm glad the flashing lights have gone thou LOL) i was not here at the start, but since i found this site by pure accident it has completely changed my hobby for the better and for that i'm very grateful 

I have meet a lot of like minded people & Showmen from all over the UK, some of which i class as life long friends and it makes meeting up on some damp ground some ware a pleasure

A Happy Birthday & A big thank you, to you Bill for Starting it all, I think our Hobby would still be in the dark ages if you had not started it back in 1997 and as you say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to make this a fantastic resource, log may that continue, it really is the the no 1 place for ALL THE FUN OF THE FAIR !!!!

Here's to the next 20 years 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Paul McHaddan

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  4,241
  • Days Won:  244
  • Birthday:  14/04/1964

A very BIG 20th Happy Birthday to "All The Fun Of The Fair Forum" & to you Bill Edwards  i came across this forum by mistake Now i use it everyday Thank you so much!!!!

& thank you to all the Moderators & the Panel :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Chris Russell

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  859
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  7,372
  • Days Won:  481
  • Birthday:  13/05/1953

I wish to add my congratulations to you Bill and, as Gary has said, our hobby has benefitted immensely from this website, from humble beginnings to the fantastic resource it is today. When I first became interested in travelling fairs, nearly 50 years ago, I knew no one else with my interest. A chance attendance of a rally on a hill in Dorset (Stourpaine Bushes) led me to find the World's Fair newspaper which for many years gave me my only information on my interest. Then computers came along and eventually I learnt the meaning of the WWW! In thanking Bill and his team and of course everyone who contributes in anyway to this site I would ask everyone not to take this forum for granted. Just imagine your hobby without it!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  39
  • Days Won:  0

Would like to add my congratulations, admiration and respect to you Bill, and the moderators of course on this amazing milestone. Like Chris, it was the chance discovery of Worlds Fair when I was a mere 12 years old that turned my fascination with fairs into a real hobby. Many years later, I read about a new "website" for fairground fans in the paper one week. I didn't know what a "website" was but luckily a partner at the time managed to educate me enough to find and appreciate this incredible resource, and I even got the hang of sending in some of the early fair reports I'm proud to say. Don't manage to contribute many reports these days....the young'uns always seem to get in before me! Here's to the next 20 years, and thanks again Bill.

• Like 7

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,666
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  2,913
  • Days Won:  6

Congratulations Bill :D Happy Birthday ATFOTF ;) and Well DONE to everyone whose contributed over all those years to make the site what it is.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  167
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  1,944
  • Days Won:  6

20 years of ATFOTF is a very notable achievement. Personally when I started to search my hobby on the internet as back as 1998, ATFOTF was one of the first sites which I found. Here we have a website come message board which started long before the advent of social networking and continues to hold its own against it.

Congratulations Bill and the team.

Edited by Martin
  • Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  739
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  03/01/1985

Congratulations to Bill and all those who work so hard behind the scenes to keep the site moving forward. I first discovered the site much the same as Martin in 1998 when we had our new computer rooms open at my school. There were many a lunch break and odd hour after lessons spent looking through the ride photos.

Personally not being a fan of the social networking sites I find this to be a great resource and I have met some fantastic enthusiasts on here.

Twenty years is a long time and I guess a reminder that nothing should be taken for granted as I cannot imagine the tireless admin work which must go on daily to keep the site running. There are no other sites like this and long may it stay that way.

Thank you Bill. Happy 20th and here is to the next 20 years!

Edited by Simon Deery
  • Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  984
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1,011
  • Days Won:  25
  • Birthday:  13/06/1963

Many congratulations to Bill and the team!  I discovered the site around 98/99 and was hooked immediately.  The hard work that goes into running a site like this needs to be recognised and is really appreciated.  I will try to continue with my own small contribution.  Thanks once again. 

Kind regards.

Rob :)

• Like 8