The Team

Photo Storage - NEW Policy

The Team    305
The Team

We are extremely grateful for ALL of your photo contributions - they help to keep the forum alive. In an ideal world we would keep every photo posted forever. However, the reality is that storage has to be paid for and we have to manage our storage so that we can keep the maximum number of photos for the longest time at the smallest cost.

When we canvassed forum members some time ago, there was considerable (but not universal) support for smaller, more compact photo sets. We've also asked members for their suggestions as to how we manage our storage.

The Team has decided that, for an experimental period of six months all photo collections posted to the forum MUST comply with the following:

Photos will mainly be rides, stalls, juveniles, lorries etc. These photos will be taken properly framed, square on with no special effects other than normal editing. They should be in focus, adequately lit and without duplication. 

Any photo not fitting the above will be deemed an "Extra" photo.

"Extra" photos should be kept to a minimum (we don't intend to count the photos and work out percentages, but it has been suggested that "Extra" photos make up no more than 10% of your post). 

In exceptional circumstances the maximum number of "Extra" photos may be exceeded, but this must be truly exceptional. What constitutes "exceptional" will be at the discretion of the Team.

Any photo sets that don't comply with the above policy will be deleted, the poster informed and invited to resubmit.

We believe that this policy will go some way towards allowing us to make the best use of our storage and we will keep an eye on our storage usage and fully review the policy after six months.

We thank you for your cooperation.

The Team

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele

So an end then too photos such as Tim Holmes photos who’s photos aren’t square on but are very atmospheric and some if not the best on the forum.

Over 20 odd albums from everyone who went goose and hull and stood and clicked everything square on? 

Photo forum going to be exciting now isn’t it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Frankieperkin    4,785
Frankieperkin

I have sent the team a direct message, Will I be getting a reply?

dan I totally agree with you, maybe you should do what I’m doing?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele
59 minutes ago, Frankieperkin said:

I have sent the team a direct message, Will I be getting a reply?

dan I totally agree with you, maybe you should do what I’m doing?

Looking like it won’t be long 

the forum and this season both seem to be coming to an end. Shame really 

harry monk    856
harry monk

We made a Topic in mid September for members to give there ideas/suggestions on how we could improve and manage our storage costs.

In fact, Frankie posted a reply on page 4.

I can't find a post in it by Daniel though ?

It's a bit disappointing to read negative comments about what we're implemented as a 6 month trial to be honest with you.

Frankie , Yes, You will get a reply, EVERY ONE who contacts the Team over ANY subject receives replies.

It may be a case of the reply not being instant though. The fact you feel the need to question a reply within 1 hour of sending it is a bit overboard though!

Perhaps you could give the recipient of it time to get home to read it first ?

Frankieperkin    4,785
Frankieperkin
46 minutes ago, harry monk said:

Frankie , Yes, You will get a reply, EVERY ONE who contacts the Team over ANY subject receives replies.

It may be a case of the reply not being instant though. The fact you feel the need to question a reply within 1 hour of sending it is a bit overboard though!

I sent a message to “The Team” 3 days ago? Not heard nothing back, not an “hour ago”

harry monk    856
harry monk

I've since seen your message and will get back to you tonight.

I read your post as having only sent the message 1 hour ago, so apologies for misinterpreting it.

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele
1 hour ago, harry monk said:

We made a Topic in mid September for members to give there ideas/suggestions on how we could improve and manage our storage costs.

In fact, Frankie posted a reply on page 4.

I can't find a post in it by Daniel though ?

It's a bit disappointing to read negative comments about what we're implemented as a 6 month trial to be honest with you.

Because I flick on here as and when and can be bothered, which is getting less and less, I came on here mainly for the photos several years ago and now it’s if I can be bothered to view anything. As now days it’s more the teams ideas than it is about fairgrounds. I see a topic with 3pages full of ideas and think can be doing without that. All the fun of the fair. Not much fun on here anymore. 

harry monk    856
harry monk
8 minutes ago, Daniel Steele said:

Because I flick on here as and when and can be bothered, which is getting less and less, I came on here mainly for the photos several years ago and now it’s if I can be bothered to view anything. As now days it’s more the teams ideas than it is about fairgrounds. I see a topic with 3pages full of ideas and think can be doing without that. All the fun of the fair. Not much fun on here anymore. 

Sorry to hear that,s how you view the situation.

When we took over the running of the site,  we felt the members would like some input, hence we ask for your ideas and suggestions.

Unfortunately you don't see it the same way !

I personally like having a say in the future of some things though, each to their own I guess.

Suffice to say, it's more a democratic thing than the Teams ideas on here.

As Lincoln once said ' you can please some of the people some of the time........ but it looks like, in your opinion, that we can't !

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele
4 minutes ago, harry monk said:

Sorry to hear that,s how you view the situation.

When we took over the running of the site,  we felt the members would like some input, hence we ask for your ideas and suggestions.

Unfortunately you don't see it the same way !

I personally like having a say in the future of some things though, each to their own I guess.

Suffice to say, it's more a democratic thing than the Teams ideas on here.

As Lincoln once said ' you can please some of the people some of the time........ but it looks like, in your opinion, that we can't !

It is good to have input.

but more what you think than it is fairground subjects or if you do get feed back it’s one word answers or look it up which is a common on here. 

And as J.D.Butler said

love a lot 

trust a few

always paddle your own canoe.

harry monk    856
harry monk

As far as im aware, the one word answers from the Team stopped ages ago, unless you can give me some examples ?

The 'look it up' replies also ceased.

An objective of the Team was to make it a more friendlier forum, but if we've failed in that, let me know please ?

Our intentions are for people to feel comfortable on here and say what they think. If it's constructive critism, that's fine, we can handle that and make change. When it's  non constructive,  that's a different matter.

If you have any problems, issues or concerns with the forum, PLEASE tell us .

We would like to keep ALL pictures posted but we have to watch our costs. So far not many pictures have been deleted, which thanks to the members is helping the situation.

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele
57 minutes ago, harry monk said:

As far as im aware, the one word answers from the Team stopped ages ago, unless you can give me some examples ?

The 'look it up' replies also ceased.

An objective of the Team was to make it a more friendlier forum, but if we've failed in that, let me know please ?

Our intentions are for people to feel comfortable on here and say what they think. If it's constructive critism, that's fine, we can handle that and make change. When it's  non constructive,  that's a different matter.

If you have any problems, issues or concerns with the forum, PLEASE tell us .

We would like to keep ALL pictures posted but we have to watch our costs. So far not many pictures have been deleted, which thanks to the members is helping the situation.

Can’t find example at moment but been while seen been on, if it has stopped about time. But storage cost and issues. Look in rides list we don’t need several photos of a super car dodgem track for example  that’s not changed over the years that would free up no end of space.

By all means if it’s changed dramatically then yes but if As I said I mainly look at the photos can’t be bothered with the rest of it. And the rides list is useful. 

But it they only my opinions 👍🏼

Edited by Daniel Steele

harry monk    856
harry monk
4 hours ago, Daniel Steele said:

Can’t find example at moment but been while seen been on, if it has stopped about time. But storage cost and issues. Look in rides list we don’t need several photos of a super car dodgem track for example  that’s not changed over the years that would free up no end of space.

By all means if it’s changed dramatically then yes but if As I said I mainly look at the photos can’t be bothered with the rest of it. And the rides list is useful. 

But it they only my opinions 👍🏼

We looked at going through the Rides list, and decided it would be too time consuming given the amount of photos in there.

We then decided to start afresh rather than backtrack on saved photos.

By following the structure of the new policy, it will enable us to keep up to date with all new picture posts each day.

I MUST emphasise that not many pictures have had to be deleted since we started this trial. In general, everyone has tried to stay with the guidelines so far.

As for Tim Holmes pictures, there in the Off-Topic forum where " You can talk about anything in here. This is a Non fairground chat forum"  If we deleted those posts, there would be no point or purpose in having an Off Topic forum would there ?  I have to agree, the quality of his pictures is in the 'professional' league.

We're not acting like picture prefects, just asking for people to use sense with the amount of pictures they post and what the subject matter actually is in them. and it IS only a trial for 6 months.

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele

But you’re saying about the money and cost the biggest part of forum is the rides list and it really is a fantastic asset. 

Surely a 6 month trial would also benefit with 6months worth of work on that also? 

As be be a big money saver and one less post on expenditure from “the team”

well i I didn’t know tims photos are in there I’ll gladly look in there now, as many moons ago when last looked in there was more a train spotters side forum.

whsts the plan after 6months of doesn’t work?

Bill Edwards    606
Bill Edwards

I may not be a part of the current Team, but I feel I am qualified to comment on photo storage as the Rides List etc were set up on my watch.

Initially the Rides List was intended to have one day shot of the ride, one night shot and a photo of it as a load.  It was decided that it would be desirable that, if when a new photo was added, the old photo was kept - the idea being that, over time, we would build up a pictorial history of the ride. The idea was that members would only add a "new" photo when the ride visibly changed. The theory was good. However, members added photos simply because of a change of ownership or because they wanted to post another and the system broke down somewhat. If the original concept had been enforced (and it was difficult as members objected to "their" photo being taken off) the Rides List would have developed into a useful historic resource. 

That said, I don't believe there are too many "duplicate" photos in the Rides List and if there are I guess rather than the Team being expected to trawl through all the entries, members could "Report" duplicates to Moderators to deal with. And if they aren't duplicate photos, but show the ride differently I believe they are worth keeping - I'd certainly rather see photos of rides in different decors etc rather than some of the photos of ride tokens and balloons that we get barraged with!

Another consideration is that, unless things have changed radically since I stepped down, the rides list storage is a tiny percentage compared to the photo forums - the big storage problem was the photo forums NOT the rides list. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele
13 minutes ago, Bill Edwards said:

I may not be a part of the current Team, but I feel I am qualified to comment on photo storage as the Rides List etc were set up on my watch.

Initially the Rides List was intended to have one day shot of the ride, one night shot and a photo of it as a load.  It was decided that it would be desirable that, if when a new photo was added, the old photo was kept - the idea being that, over time, we would build up a pictorial history of the ride. The idea was that members would only add a "new" photo when the ride visibly changed. The theory was good. However, members added photos simply because of a change of ownership or because they wanted to post another and the system broke down somewhat. If the original concept had been enforced (and it was difficult as members objected to "their" photo being taken off) the Rides List would have developed into a useful historic resource. 

That said, I don't believe there are too many "duplicate" photos in the Rides List and if there are I guess rather than the Team being expected to trawl through all the entries, members could "Report" duplicates to Moderators to deal with. And if they aren't duplicate photos, but show the ride differently I believe they are worth keeping - I'd certainly rather see photos of rides in different decors etc rather than some of the photos of ride tokens and balloons that we get barraged with!

Another consideration is that, unless things have changed radically since I stepped down, the rides list storage is a tiny percentage compared to the photo forums - the big storage problem was the photo forums NOT the rides list. 

I get what you’re saying bill and that would of been great. But I was on rides list earlier and same dodgem track nothing’s changed with it as you said just at different location With another poor quality photo. If you want I’ll flag quote a few up for the team if they want just let me know how 👍🏼 Some are worth keeping new backflash transport but if it’s as a load can all upload tractor units not coupled up granted if not got it as a load then yes as a temp until someone gets it as a load etc. 

Balloons are a big part part of the fair same as toffee apples and burgers are why can’t we have photos of them? 

Bill Edwards    606
Bill Edwards
1 minute ago, Daniel Steele said:

I get what you’re saying bill and that would of been great. But I was on rides list earlier and same dodgem track nothing’s changed with it as you said just at different location With another poor quality photo. If you want I’ll flag quote a few up for the team if they want just let me know how 👍🏼 Some are worth keeping new backflash transport but if it’s as a load can all upload tractor units not coupled up granted if not got it as a load then yes as a temp until someone gets it as a load etc. 

Balloons are a big part part of the fair same as toffee apples and burgers are why can’t we have photos of them? 

My apologies, I'm simply not understanding your point here - I accept there are duplicates in the rides list and I've explained how they came about and I've also suggested a method for dealing with them (although a member of the team will have to confirm that). However I don't believe it's the big problem you're making out - the rides list simply wasn't impacting the storage problem to any extent.

4 minutes ago, Daniel Steele said:

Seriously? How many enthusiasts on here are here to see photos of burgers, tokens and balloons? Enough to justify the cost of storing photos of them? I personally don't want to see them and when we canvassed members opinions some time ago, the MAJORITY of members preferred smaller, more compact photo sets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

harry monk    856
harry monk

I think we need to save all the photos in the Rides list for the foreseeable , given this is only a trial for 6 months.

We could even revert back to the original at the end of the trial yet , in which case we could of deleted some historic pictures.

Its easier for all concerned to run the trial, monitor it day by day and delete accordingly , rather than go back though lots of past pictures ( even with members reporting duplicates).

Looking through logs, the Rides list picture quantity is miniscule compared with the Photo Forum quantity, although still too many to go through.

As said, lets see how things go and if we can manage/minimise  the increasing costs over the trial period. We are showing good direction with the matter currently.

Its not about  the storage costs in general , but the natural increase of those costs with more pictures being added daily, hence the request to try and follow the policy guidelines.

The forum HAS to have pictures , and the costs that come with it, we can accept those, but the objective is to manage what 'kind' of pictures we add to the existing ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele

All was move on to Facebook plenty photo space on there 

harry monk    856
harry monk
2 hours ago, Daniel Steele said:

All was move on to Facebook plenty photo space on there 

IF I've read your post correctly,  that defeats the object of having a 'web site'  based forum.

FB is ok for some things but not for an organised forum with headings for each subject !

Don't forget the forum pre-dates FB by many years.

FB could also disappear at any time, and we would lose the lot if that happened.

Although we have a FB page, we have no intentions of making it the forums 'home' !

Daniel Steele    360
Daniel Steele
1 hour ago, harry monk said:

IF I've read your post correctly,  that defeats the object of having a 'web site'  based forum.

FB is ok for some things but not for an organised forum with headings for each subject !

Don't forget the forum pre-dates FB by many years.

FB could also disappear at any time, and we would lose the lot if that happened.

Although we have a FB page, we have no intentions of making it the forums 'home' !

It was a joke 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.