Do you have any NEW Ideas for the Forum?

Bill Edwards

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  972
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,496
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Achievement Points:  7,513
  • Days Won:  249
  • Birthday:  23/09/1963

I am not sure that it would attract enough interest to justify it's own section, but could be tacked onto the Reports Section.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this idea??

It could be a good topic to consider as I am interested in what appeared at my local fair over the years, there could be a question and answer type topic of what rides did appear at fairs for any particular year and if people knew the answer post it. The diary of a season for a particular ride or show people could also be considered you could see how many fairs and the distance covered over the country in the year that they do. Might be boring to some but interesting to others with so many people to please cant be easy to try something different on the forum. You would always get negative and positive feedback its a suck it and see situation.

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  2,380
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,067
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Having thought about this some more today, this seems to me to be something we can do without immediate change to the forum.

If any members wish to post either historic reports or a list of places a machine visits there is no reason why they can't. As with any topic that doesn't have a specific forum, they can be posted in the General Message Forum.

If the idea takes off, or there is demand we can always set up a specific forum at a later date and transfer the existing posts there.

So, post away!!

GeorginaBailliesNumber1Fan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  341
  • Days Won:  0

Having thought about this some more today, this seems to me to be something we can do without immediate change to the forum.

If any members wish to post either historic reports or a list of places a machine visits there is no reason why they can't. As with any topic that doesn't have a specific forum, they can be posted in the General Message Forum.

If the idea takes off, or there is demand we can always set up a specific forum at a later date and transfer the existing posts there.

So, post away!!

Thats brilliant Bill.I will start a couple of posts tommorow evening.

Graham Nicoll

• Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  530
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  530
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  01/08/1961

It could be a good topic to consider as I am interested in what appeared at my local fair over the years, there could be a question and answer type topic of what rides did appear at fairs for any particular year and if people knew the answer post it. The diary of a season for a particular ride or show people could also be considered you could see how many fairs and the distance covered over the country in the year that they do. Might be boring to some but interesting to others with so many people to please cant be easy to try something different on the forum. You would always get negative and positive feedback its a suck it and see situation.

I agree that there is potential in both the idea of posting historical fair reports, and the diary of a season for specific rides and/or families. Of course, with the former it might be difficult to ascertain accuracy, but hopefully enough members would be interested to help out with clarifying/verifying any anomalies.

I would especially love to find out the owners of rides and attractions that attended the fairs I went to in my home town of Petersfield, during the late-sixties up until the mid-eighties, so if anyone can help... :wub:

I would especially love to find out the owners of rides and attractions that attended the fairs I went to in my home town of Petersfield, during the late-sixties up until the mid-eighties, so if anyone can help... :wub:

Ditto Finchley Carnival late 70's, early 80's :)

Looks like this could be a good idea Bill.I know its early days yet.Please bare with me on mine im still learning how to post properley but im getting there.Specially with it been end of season as not as many current reports go on.

Edited by EA UltraModernSpeedway

• Group:  Member.
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  47
  • Days Won:  20

I have a new suggestion, how about a lonely hearts coloumn? Let's be honest telling someone your a fairground enthusiast is probably not a selling point if you have no interest in the industry. You would have to use a current picture of your self and not a photo of a ride, state your sexual preference, I.e. Straight, gay, bisexual. Your age and gender, then hay presto! Watch the requests come flying in!

There may be a slow start as I have a sneaky suspicion the forum is not 50/50 male female ratio. Possibly this could be changed by advertising for more female ATFOTF members? The WI maybe? Maybe some keen members could do some flyers or even shop posters?

I have noticed that match.com put on events so people can meet face to face. What better place than a fairground? I believe from a business point of view that it would be good for the industry. I would gladly host the first event of this kind at one of our fairs, maybe those taking part could put a red rose in there mouth and stand at the main entrance to the fair. If you see someone who tickles your fancy you could have a ride together. If you don't enjoy the next three minutes then pop back to the entrance with the flower in your gob!

Sure this needs some work but I am sure Bill won't mind putting in the hours? I am also sure there is not any part of the forum which fits this description, I can't imagine why you haven't thought of it already?

Discuss.....

:-)

• Like 9

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  105
  • Birthday:  12/08/1971

Can't believe your suggesting people put a flower that could pierce your tongue,lip causing intolerable pain into there mouth, there must be a H&S sheet somewhere on this I would suggest a rocket lolly instead :):):)::)::):

I have a new suggestion, how about a lonely hearts coloumn? Let's be honest telling someone your a fairground enthusiast is probably not a selling point if you have no interest in the industry. You would have to use a current picture of your self and not a photo of a ride, state your sexual preference, I.e. Straight, gay, bisexual. Your age and gender, then hay presto! Watch the requests come flying in!

There may be a slow start as I have a sneaky suspicion the forum is not 50/50 male female ratio. Possibly this could be changed by advertising for more female ATFOTF members? The WI maybe? Maybe some keen members could do some flyers or even shop posters?

I have noticed that match.com put on events so people can meet face to face. What better place than a fairground? I believe from a business point of view that it would be good for the industry. I would gladly host the first event of this kind at one of our fairs, maybe those taking part could put a red rose in there mouth and stand at the main entrance to the fair. If you see someone who tickles your fancy you could have a ride together. If you don't enjoy the next three minutes then pop back to the entrance with the flower in your gob!

Sure this needs some work but I am sure Bill won't mind putting in the hours? I am also sure there is not any part of the forum which fits this description, I can't imagine why you haven't thought of it already?

Discuss.....

Would be no good for me Joby im married to a beautifull lady. And we have Just celebtrated our 25th wedding anniversary.

Phillip Jones

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  21
  • Birthday:  08/08/1981

I would gladly host the first event of this kind at one of our fairs, maybe those taking part could put a red rose in there mouth and stand at the main entrance to the fair. If you see someone who tickles your fancy you could have a ride together.

Great idea. Seeing as romance seems to blossom in the dark you could invest in that most romantic of rides, the Caterpillar? keep the tilt over for a little longer to really get things going, can i suggest 2 or 3 hours to start with.

Wayne Entwistle

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  414
  • Birthday:  11/01/1974

Joby what did you have for breakfast yesterday ????

Im sat here laughing my head off and rubbing my eyes !

Top man.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  1,180
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  18/07/1949

Discuss.....

We could add a sub forum, 'ATFOTF.uniformdating.com'

Then we could resurrect those badged Forum hats and T shirts, etc?

So, post away!!

I agree that there is potential in both the idea of posting historical fair reports, and the diary of a season for specific rides and/or families. Of course, with the former it might be difficult to ascertain accuracy, but hopefully enough members would be interested to help out with clarifying/verifying any anomalies.

I've added the "Historic Funfair Reports" forum at http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/forum/481-historic-funfair-reports-pre-2000/

I will move the existing posts into it. If I miss any, let me know :)

Thank you Bill.Thats the most usefull idea and success i have had in years.Cheered me up no end this as.

Wayne Entwistle

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  414
  • Birthday:  11/01/1974

Hi Bill, Just got back from a few days away and as im browsing the forum today with the mammoth amount of photos that has been posted i hit the like button only to be told my quota hasw been reached for the day,

I know you have capped it at 30 per day but i would have liked to show my appreciation to the rest of the gallery ?

Does this mean that i will have to revisit the photos already viewed tomorrow to show my support ?

Hi Bill, Just got back from a few days away and as im browsing the forum today with the mammoth amount of photos that has been posted i hit the like button only to be told my quota hasw been reached for the day,

I know you have capped it at 30 per day but i would have liked to show my appreciation to the rest of the gallery ?

Does this mean that i will have to revisit the photos already viewed tomorrow to show my support ?

Yes, sorry - I think 30 per day is too many, but was out voted by the rest of the Mod Team. I don't have any plans to revisit this number.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  866
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  4,330
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Achievement Points:  4,379
  • Days Won:  153

Sorry have to agree with Adam, having been in work yesterday I came to look at the forum this morning and found it hard to find people's photo post's from yesterday as they where in amongst so many of Richard's post's, they are excellent photo's and would it not be worth maybe having a separate topic instead of Richard posting to the main photo forum?, I know we are heading into the quiet winter time when nothing happens but there are still fairs happening and people are still out and about posting from local fairs.

• Like 1
Richard Furniss

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  844
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  844
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  16/01/1943

Sorry to be causing so many problems, in future I will post all ride type and transport categories under a single thread as I did to begin with. Once again many apologies to everyone affected by my separate threads, which I now realise are pushing other threads down the list.

• Like 5

• Group:  Administrator
  • Topic Count:  1,149
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8,872
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Achievement Points:  9,367
  • Days Won:  172
  • Birthday:  16/03/1951

Paratrooper & Twist posts have now been merged into Rides & Transport Topics.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  238
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Days Won:  3

Dear all,

I think it would be extremely useful if content could remain on the forum for a longer period than it does currently. Ultimately I assume this is primarily influenced by the cost of hosting the data which we could all potentially contribute to. The discussions, facts, photography and other information on the forum has significant historic value and I think there is strong justification for preserving it to be available for all - for as long as possible.

Is this something that has been explored? Also, posts that are no longer available online, has the data been completely deleted?

Thanks for all the great work!

Dan

Dear all,

I think it would be extremely useful if content could remain on the forum for a longer period than it does currently. Ultimately I assume this is primarily influenced by the cost of hosting the data which we could all potentially contribute to. The discussions, facts, photography and other information on the forum has significant historic value and I think there is strong justification for preserving it to be available for all - for as long as possible.

Is this something that has been explored? Also, posts that are no longer available online, has the data been completely deleted?

Thanks for all the great work!

Dan

Dan

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated.

The decision on how long to keep information is purely economic. The hosting currently costs us £80 a month and allows us to keep topics for around about 14 months. We could keep topics for longer but that would require a bigger (more expensive plan!) At the moment we are just about covering the costs. The majority of members don't contribute financially and the forum is kept going by a small number of people who do contribute and I am extremely grateful to them. I cannot justify paying the hosting myself and once contributions fall below what it costs we will be making further cuts and squeezing into an even smaller hosting plan :(

Much as I would like to increase the time we keep stuff it just isn't possible at the moment. We have discussed other systems, including charging all members and/or offering a very limited forum to those who don't contribute, but it is felt that once we limit members access it will affect photo/information contributions and the forum will fail.

Once data has been deleted it's gone for good.

If you, or anyone else can suggest ways of increasing financial contributions I am more than willing to listen and alter the hosting plan accordingly :)

All the best

Bill

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  238
  • Achievement Points:  240
  • Days Won:  3

Bill,

Thanks for the reply, I completely understand. The more donations the better!

It may be worth discussing the situation with the National Fairground Archive, I know that a number of the members on here provide the archive with data so there may be opportunities for further collaboration between the forum and the NFA. I am sure they would be particularly interested in preserving selected information/data for the long term.

I would be more than happy to get in touch with the NFA on behalf of the forum to discuss the situation?

Best, Dan

• 1 month later...

Ok heres another one of my bright ideas for the forum.How about a section called Through the years.Heres what i mean.Take for instance a certain peice of fairground equipment. EG:A ride such as a set of Dodgems.You could post a picture of it when it was new and then maybe a picture of the same Dodgem when it had a change of flash or artwork or something different done to it.The older the ride the better.So another example is new 1945 when owned by then 1950 next pic still owned by then 1955 notice whatever change also mention new owner if it has one.I hope you are getting my point.I know we have had before and after and maybe this idea may not merit a separate section,if not why not start posting the history of a certain peice of fairground equipment or ride.I hope i am making sense.Over to you Admin and mods.What do you think?

Bill Edwards

Ok heres another one of my bright ideas for the forum.How about a section called Through the years.Heres what i mean.Take for instance a certain peice of fairground equipment. EG:A ride such as a set of Dodgems.You could post a picture of it when it was new and then maybe a picture of the same Dodgem when it had a change of flash or artwork or something different done to it.The older the ride the better.So another example is new 1945 when owned by then 1950 next pic still owned by then 1955 notice whatever change also mention new owner if it has one.I hope you are getting my point.I know we have had before and after and maybe this idea may not merit a separate section,if not why not start posting the history of a certain peice of fairground equipment or ride.I hope i am making sense.Over to you Admin and mods.What do you think?

I like the idea of the topics. There is nothing in the forum that prevents this type of post. Members are free to post whatever topics they wish in whatever format they desire.

The only question is "Does it merit a forum of it's own"? I suspect the answer is no - but if there is sufficient interest (and by that I mean relevant posts) I will create a forum for the posts.

Regards

Bill

I like the idea of the topics. There is nothing in the forum that prevents this type of post. Members are free to post whatever topics they wish in whatever format they desire.

The only question is "Does it merit a forum of it's own"? I suspect the answer is no - but if there is sufficient interest (and by that I mean relevant posts) I will create a forum for the posts.

Regards

Bill

Thank you very much for your prompt reply Bill.It will be interesting to see what will matiralise within this idea.