Do you have any NEW Ideas for the Forum?

Bill Edwards

GeorginaBailliesNumber1Fan

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  341
  • Days Won:  0

How about a list of Showmans yards?It could start as where the yard currently is then underneath it members could add previous locations of the yards of that paricular showman.Just anothe one of my bright ideas for the forum.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6,302
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  7,288
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Achievement Points:  7,326
  • Days Won:  68

See rule 17

Posts should respect the privacy of Showmen & their families. Examples include (but are not limited to) Locations of yards, photos that identify locations of yards, photos of private cars (as opposed to loads, which are OK), photos taken in private/restricted areas of funfairs & photos taken by 'intrusive' means, posting of conversations/information meant as private and discussion of financial/business matters

• Like 2

See rule 17

Posts should respect the privacy of Showmen & their families. Examples include (but are not limited to) Locations of yards, photos that identify locations of yards, photos of private cars (as opposed to loads, which are OK), photos taken in private/restricted areas of funfairs & photos taken by 'intrusive' means, posting of conversations/information meant as private and discussion of financial/business matters

ok

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  2,664
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  2,911
  • Days Won:  6

Hi Bill

Although its a quiet time of year (at the moment ) , would it be possible to change the 'Recent Replies/topics ' ...top right of forums page... to show 10 as opposed to 6 latest items ?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  2,385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,879
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,104
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Hi Bill

Although its a quiet time of year (at the moment ) , would it be possible to change the 'Recent Replies/topics ' ...top right of forums page... to show 10 as opposed to 6 latest items ?

It is possible to change it to anything we want. Does anyone have an input?

• Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  2,664
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  2,911
  • Days Won:  6

Looks like just me then Bill . :(

This is a democracy - That's one for - none against :)

• Group:  Supporter
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  701
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  701

How about turning the 4 letter minimum on searches off. I wanted to search ARM in the waltzer section of the Rides List but I wasn't able to due to the restriction :)

Edited by Thomas Gorman

How about turning the 4 letter minimum on searches off. I wanted to search ARM in the waltzer section of the Rides List but I wasn't able to due to the restriction :)

The downside to that would be that searches with less characters would take up a LOT of server processor time slowing the site for other users. The software won't allow me to lower the limit for that reason.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  701
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  701

Oh that's kind of annoying but understandable thanks :-)

• 5 months later...

Heres another one of my bright ideas.Well i did this last week.Not sure if it would create enough interest for its own section on the forums but maybe could be posted in vintage fairground or general.This is what i did and how it works.

I spent a week back in my home city of Leeds last week visiting family with my living wife.We visited old grounds that Atha's would go to between 1980 and 1984.I attended osmondthorpe(old wintering up ground)Now has a job centre built on it.Cross Gates(next to staion pub) now as a supermarket built on it.Kirkstall(next to Bar-celona club) also had a supermarket built on it.East End Park(the fields).I know this still happens but was on the site of the playing fields furthur down.Garforth (Top of Main street) now a housing estate.Morley another super market and new path.I know they was other grounds i could have gone to but we only had a day and it was well worth the price of a couple of day rover bus pass tickets.Many people whom worked around the areas in shops and things were happy to chat to us when we told them what we were doing and many people over 40 remembered those days and were interested to know what had happened to the Ath'a family.Many were pleased that Terry Jnr had carried on the family tradition.

Not sure what you could call the section if it was merited one.Maybe something like Fairgounds that no longer happen.I should have taken some photos but sorry i did not now.I am sure some members on here will have photos from when the feasts did happen.So if they visited the ground now could take some to show what the ground looks like now.Hope you all understand what i mean.I think this is more suited to the more mature members of the forum.Some people may say whats the point in going to somewhere where there is no fairground anymore.But for me it was a sentimental journey and it was good to show my living wife where it all use to happen.It brought back so many happy memorys.I look forward to other members thoughts on this one.

• Like 2
Bill Edwards

Heres another one of my bright ideas.Well i did this last week.Not sure if it would create enough interest for its own section on the forums but maybe could be posted in vintage fairground or general.This is what i did and how it works.

I spent a week back in my home city of Leeds last week visiting family with my living wife.We visited old grounds that Atha's would go to between 1980 and 1984.I attended osmondthorpe(old wintering up ground)Now has a job centre built on it.Cross Gates(next to staion pub) now as a supermarket built on it.Kirkstall(next to Bar-celona club) also had a supermarket built on it.East End Park(the fields).I know this still happens but was on the site of the playing fields furthur down.Garforth (Top of Main street) now a housing estate.Morley another super market and new path.I know they was other grounds i could have gone to but we only had a day and it was well worth the price of a couple of day rover bus pass tickets.Many people whom worked around the areas in shops and things were happy to chat to us when we told them what we were doing and many people over 40 remembered those days and were interested to know what had happened to the Ath'a family.Many were pleased that Terry Jnr had carried on the family tradition.

Not sure what you could call the section if it was merited one.Maybe something like Fairgounds that no longer happen.I should have taken some photos but sorry i did not now.I am sure some members on here will have photos from when the feasts did happen.So if they visited the ground now could take some to show what the ground looks like now.Hope you all understand what i mean.I think this is more suited to the more mature members of the forum.Some people may say whats the point in going to somewhere where there is no fairground anymore.But for me it was a sentimental journey and it was good to show my living wife where it all use to happen.It brought back so many happy memorys.I look forward to other members thoughts on this one.

There is no problem with this sort of post, however I suspect that there won't be enough to justify a forum of it's own, but feel free to post in the General Message Forum

Regards

Bill

Nick Attwell

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  273
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  273
  • Birthday:  14/03/1961

I have a new suggestion, how about a lonely hearts coloumn? Let's be honest telling someone your a fairground enthusiast is probably not a selling point if you have no interest in the industry. You would have to use a current picture of your self and not a photo of a ride, state your sexual preference, I.e. Straight, gay, bisexual. Your age and gender, then hay presto! Watch the requests come flying in!

There may be a slow start as I have a sneaky suspicion the forum is not 50/50 male female ratio. Possibly this could be changed by advertising for more female ATFOTF members? The WI maybe? Maybe some keen members could do some flyers or even shop posters?

I have noticed that match.com put on events so people can meet face to face. What better place than a fairground? I believe from a business point of view that it would be good for the industry. I would gladly host the first event of this kind at one of our fairs, maybe those taking part could put a red rose in there mouth and stand at the main entrance to the fair. If you see someone who tickles your fancy you could have a ride together. If you don't enjoy the next three minutes then pop back to the entrance with the flower in your gob!

Sure this needs some work but I am sure Bill won't mind putting in the hours? I am also sure there is not any part of the forum which fits this description, I can't imagine why you haven't thought of it already?

Discuss.....

:-)

I agree with Joby :)

Like with internet chatrooms (one in particular) they have annual weekend camps where all members can meet each other real world. Far safer than one to one meets as the event is organised by chatroom admins & mods

Anyway as for fairs: Each person is issued with one ride voucher to allow them to have a romantic fair ride such as the big wheel. There could even be specific romantic fair events not open to Joe public

As has already been said this would be a brilliant revenue gatherer for the operators of the fair.

Then there is the employment of ATFotF site moderators

Any member who regularly posts threads & replies & offers support to fellow members could be considered to become a moderator. This should not only be open to supporters who help Bill cover hosting fees. It should apply to all members

Or do you currently have sufficiant staff Bill?

Bill Edwards

Then there is the employment of ATFotF site moderators

Any member who regularly posts threads & replies & offers support to fellow members could be considered to become a moderator. This should not only be open to supporters who help Bill cover hosting fees. It should apply to all members

Or do you currently have sufficiant staff Bill?

We currently have sufficient staff thank you

Regards

Bill

Nick Attwell

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  273
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  273
  • Birthday:  14/03/1961

You're welcome Bill

Plus I am only an enthusiast as oppose to in the trade so maybe I wouldn't make a good moderator being ignorant of commercial aspects of running a fair

Incidentaly: Maybe fair operators could seek local help setting up & down for a free ride wrist band lol

Edited by Nick Attwell

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  865
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  4,335
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Achievement Points:  4,384
  • Days Won:  153

Sorry for butting in Bill, what makes you think the Mods on the forum are in the trade? ATFOTF is an Enthusiast based forum with great input from both Showmen and Enthusiasts alike.

• Like 6
David Littleboy

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  846
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Achievement Points:  842
  • Days Won:  242
  • Birthday:  11/11/1964

Didn't someone say server space was at a premium? :-) The best idea so far by a mile is Joby's dating idea, maybe it could be combined with a Ghost hunting night on RC's ghost train? That way we could kill as many birds as possible with one stone.

Edited by David Littleboy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Phillip Jones

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  21
  • Birthday:  08/08/1981

you can kill your bird if you want, i was just going to take mine out to the cinema and maybe buy her some chips if she was lucky.

• Like 1