• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  16/06/1978

My bad, I've never spotted that button previously as I tend to use my mobile to view the site, which doesn't openly display those buttons.

By 'easier to find' I meant to move the database link into a topic of its own which would make it appear within those main board topics. just like you have with the new test one.

?

Edited by Adam Bradford
Ken Armstrong

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  34

I think the existing “Coming Events” database is great, as it is easy to search and use. I prefer this approach rather than having a new forum with separate topics for each event/funfair. Funfair event data is ideally suited to the simple list/spreadsheet format of the existing “Upcoming Events” database.

To make the existing “Coming Events” database easier to find, is it possible to re-order the links/buttons at the top of the ATFOTF home page, so that the “Coming Events” link appears nearer to the start, instead of at the end (which means hidden under the “More” link for many members)?

As to how entering events by region/area would work, my suggestion is that volunteers are appointed to cover a specified list of counties. These volunteers would focus on entering/updating events in their list of specified counties. But any member would be free to enter an event for anywhere in the UK, as per the existing process. If there is no volunteer for a particular county/area, then we would need to reach out for one, and if still none can be found, then perhaps one of the existing volunteers can pick up the missing county/area. A list of appointed volunteers and their counties, could be posted elsewhere on the forum. With this approach, I think the effort of entering events would be less demanding, as the workload is being shared. These are my initial thoughts on how the process might work, but perhaps I’ve missed something.

• Like 2

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  2,380
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,067
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

I think the existing “Coming Events” database is great, as it is easy to search and use. I prefer this approach rather than having a new forum with separate topics for each event/funfair. Funfair event data is ideally suited to the simple list/spreadsheet format of the existing “Upcoming Events” database.

To make the existing “Coming Events” database easier to find, is it possible to re-order the links/buttons at the top of the ATFOTF home page, so that the “Coming Events” link appears nearer to the start, instead of at the end (which means hidden under the “More” link for many members)?

As to how entering events by region/area would work, my suggestion is that volunteers are appointed to cover a specified list of counties. These volunteers would focus on entering/updating events in their list of specified counties. But any member would be free to enter an event for anywhere in the UK, as per the existing process. If there is no volunteer for a particular county/area, then we would need to reach out for one, and if still none can be found, then perhaps one of the existing volunteers can pick up the missing county/area. A list of appointed volunteers and their counties, could be posted elsewhere on the forum. With this approach, I think the effort of entering events would be less demanding, as the workload is being shared. These are my initial thoughts on how the process might work, but perhaps I’ve missed something.

Thank you Ken, that makes a lot more sense.

The only thing I would say is that since January we have been relying on members to enter their own events in the database with Gary "overseeing" and it HASN'T worked. Member submissions were virtually ZERO.

The only difference here is that we would have volunteer's covering Counties. I suppose it has to be worth having a go, the alternative is NO COMING EVENTS :(

I've moved the "Coming Events" link as far up the list as I am able. I've also created a "redirect" that appears as a "Forum"

Thanks again

Bill

Thefodenenthusiast

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  190
  • Achievement Points:  194
  • Birthday:  02/02/1997

I would have entered more in my time here, but I always found some one (Mostly Gary) had already entered them...

Matt Goodenough

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  509
  • Birthday:  21/01/1989

ill try to add as many as i can source from Oxfordshire and further out.

Ken Armstrong

Hi Bill,

Thanks for moving the "Coming Events" on the ATFOTF banner to make it more visible.

I mainly access the mobile version of ATFOTF from my smartphone, and I suspect many members also do the same from their smartphone/tablet. Just wondering if you are able to configure the icons on the mobile site that appear when you click on the shortcut button (4 small squares) that appears at the top right corner of the ATFOTF homepage on my smartphone? Currently, the 10 icons displayed are: "Messenger, Notifications, Members, Links, Store, Client Area, New Content, Status Updates, Search, Mark All Read". If so, then I think it would be really useful to add a "Coming Events" icon to display the upcoming funfairs.

Let's hope we get enough volunteers to cover all the counties.

Thanks

Ken

• Group:  No Longer A Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  630
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  19/12/1977

Hi Bill,

Thanks for moving the "Coming Events" on the ATFOTF banner to make it more visible.

I mainly access the mobile version of ATFOTF from my smartphone, and I suspect many members also do the same from their smartphone/tablet. Just wondering if you are able to configure the icons on the mobile site that appear when you click on the shortcut button (4 small squares) that appears at the top right corner of the ATFOTF homepage on my smartphone? Currently, the 10 icons displayed are: "Messenger, Notifications, Members, Links, Store, Client Area, New Content, Status Updates, Search, Mark All Read". If so, then I think it would be really useful to add a "Coming Events" icon to display the upcoming funfairs.

Thanks

Ken

i use a smart phone i request desktop and get the same image as on a laptop

Hi Bill,

Thanks

Ken

Unfortunately the icons on the mobile version are fixed as part of the software.

Have you considered saving the Coming Events page as a favourite in your browser?

• Topic Count:  687
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  4,727
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  4,730
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  17/03/1964

Been replaced by current fair posters ive found that hepful this year (although not as detailed as coming events)

This was a good Idea which started off well but even this has tailed off, there are loads of posters not being posted on here, like everything else on the forum if Members are not going to support it, it will fail

Ken Armstrong

i use a smart phone i request desktop and get the same image as on a laptop

Yes, I notice I also have an option to run the "Full Version" of the site on my smartphone which gives me the same image as on my laptop. But I personally prefer to run the "Mobile Version" on my smartphone as I find it easier to read.

Unfortunately the icons on the mobile version are fixed as part of the software.

Have you considered saving the Coming Events page as a favourite in your browser?

Thanks Bill - I have set up the Coming Events page as a favourite on my smartphone browser and it works fine.

As we have some offer's of help in inputting the Coming Events next year on an "area basis", the next decision is to decide how we input and display them. I will detail the options I can implement quite easily with what I see as the advantages and disadvantages and we can go with the most popular.

1) Current Coming Events Database

Advantages - Search and sort is separate from the forum. Part of forum software. Been in use for a while, so is known.

Disadvantages - Data entry is flddly. Deleting events is a pain (must be deleted one at a time - time consuming when there are loads). Outside of the forum. Not the most user friendly database

2) Coming Events In Forums

Advantages - Free text entry, integral part of forum, events show on "View New Content", allows replies and discussion. Can add poster, links, photos, questions etc. Easy mass deletion or could be archived for future reference.

Disadvantages - No separate search/sort. Events show up on "View New Content". Can only be displayed in fixed order.

3) Publish A Plain List

Advantages - Easy to publish

Disadvantages - No search or sort. Either has to be compiled by one person, or multiple person's with one "combining & tidying"

4) A New Database Similar To Rides List

Advantages - Excellent sort, search & filter. Easy mass delete. Downloadable.

Disadvantages - Outside of forum. Requires inputter's to learn new software (not difficult at all, but still needs to be learnt). Requires separate login to input/view.

You may well be able to think of other pluses & minuses :)

My own opinion, is that if you look at the ADVANTAGES ONLY, the Coming Events in the forum is an easy winner. However, looking at the disadvantages as well it becomes much more complex.

It would be advantageous at this stage if you could indicate how you would like next years Coming Events displayed.

Many thanks

Bill

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  701
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  701

I think the coming events in the forum is the best idea Bill, this means for much easier input from users as it is in the same format as they are used to while posting replies. Hands down, I don't tend to post coming events mainly because of the amazing job Gary Witcomb has done with there not being any fairs I knew about that hadn't already been posted.

Many thanks

Tom

Edited by Funfairs AndMore
  • Like 1
Roger Peatman

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,821
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  1,848
  • Days Won:  7

Quite a lot to take in here, so I'll go through them one by one

1) Current Coming Events Database : - - as a user I find it perfect for my requirements --- The search works very well and gives good city/town and county results.

I am not familiar with data entry or administration.

2) Coming Events In Forums : -- Would work fine in this format -- however if there is no separate "search" , that sounds like a big disadvantage to me.

3) Publish A Plain List --- This sounds like a non-starter due to administration/compilation problems.

4) A New Database Similar To Rides List --- Having used the new Rides List quite a lot, I like it very much -- it's very user friendly and the search options are as good as it gets.

It would work perfectly for coming events , but again there is a question mark over admin / input issues.

The fact that it is outside the forum doesn't trouble me at all.

• Like 2
Adam Bradford

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  36
  • Achievement Points:  37
  • Birthday:  16/06/1978

My vote would be to retain the database format too ?

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  605
  • Days Won:  11

This was a good Idea which started off well but even this has tailed off, there are loads of posters not being posted on here, like everything else on the forum if Members are not going to support it, it will fail

I don't think posters would ever replace coming events but they are a useful additional resource that provide graphic details of individual fairs & certainly grab attention. I expect poster input

will slow down because of the time of year. I do like the current Coming Events facility but have never been involved in its maintenace. Is there any mechanism within the existing software to enable

'auto delete' once the concluding date has expired? Can the data be imported into the current facility from say Excel where it could be possible to set up sautomatic maintenance functions.

Edited by Eddie Kelly

I don't think posters would ever replace coming events but they are a useful additional resource that provide graphic details of individual fairs & certainly grab attention. I expect poster input

will slow down because of the time of year. I do like the current Coming Events facility but have never been involved in its maintenace. Is there any mechanism within the existing software to enable

'auto delete' once the concluding date has expired? Can the data be imported into the current facility from say Excel where it could be possible to set up sautomatic maintenance functions.

If we went for a forum based Coming Events, each event could have, if available, a copy of the poster.

The current database is very basic - there is no auto delete, data can't be imported, you are left to delete one record at a time.

The Online Database is more sophisticated - you can multi delete records & search, sort & filter are much better. I've set up a "test" database on the same link the Online Rides List and Juvenile database is on. Indeed, this option could have a copy of the poster as well!

Regards

Bill

EDIT - Online database has no multiple delete, but deletion is much quicker than current database

I have looked at the off Line Coming events and can see no real difference to what we have currently apart from the auto delete/ search feature's

I don't wish to sound negative here, but Members did not support the old system, so why all of a sudden are they going to support the new system, we are talking about adding a lot of other info and posters etc, but currently we cant get anything from Members ??

I don't see sufficient Volunteers from all over the country to get any ware near a half decent service

If by magic members are now going to come forward and enter events, i would be happy to stay on and oversee this, but from what i see the members who have the info we require are just not prepared to support and share info

Edited by Gary Witcomb
  • Like 2

I have looked at the off Line Coming events and can see no real difference to what we have currently apart from the auto delete/ search feature's

I don't wish to sound negative here, but Members did not support the old system, so why all of a sudden are they going to support the new system, we are talking about adding a lot of other info and posters etc, but currently we cant get anything from Members ??

I don't see sufficient Volunteers from all over the country to get any ware near a half decent service

If by magic members are now going to come forward and enter events, i would be happy to stay on and oversee this, but from what i see the members who have the info we require are just not prepared to support and share info and i would love to know why !!

As a new Panel Member you can contact me by PM and tell me why you think Members are unwilling to support Coming events and the Forum in General

I agree 100% Gary, it may well be that with the option of losing the Coming Events altogether members will support it. Perhaps you did too good a job of entering events? Whilst someone is prepared to do all the work, there's always someone willing to stand by and let them do it :)

I am still a firm believer that Coming Events is a major part of our Hobby and it also promotes/ supports the showmen which it is all about

So I have been thinking about this and I am willing to offer an alternative to the current coming event format which is just so time consuming and which no one else seams to want to take on

So the idea would be a weekly post on say a Monday / Tuesday for the coming week only, directly onto the forum and not in the current database, it would be a very simple / basic list of Fairs on that week (and that week only) and the membership can contribute by simply replying with any date that they have and they will have to as I will not be searching as before, they can then also answer anyone questions that may be asked and then the threat can be simply deleted at the end of the week ready for the next list to be added

some thing like

START - FINISH - LOCATION (nothing else)

04 Dec - 04 Dec Normanton West Yorkshire

04 Dec - 04 Dec Hanham, Bristol Somerset

05 Dec - 06 Dec Blackwood Gwent

05 Dec - 05 Dec Risca Gwent

05 Dec - 06 Dec Glasgow Lanarkshire

06 Dec - 06 Dec Otley West Yorkshire

10 Dec - 10 Dec Uttoxeter Staffordshire

11 Dec - 03 Jan 2016 Urmston Greater Manchester

11 Dec - 04 Jan 2016 Stonham Aspal Suffolk

12 Dec - 13 Dec Montrose Angus

12 Dec - 12 Dec Ringwood Hampshire

17 Dec - 30 Dec Barnstaple Devon

23 Dec - 17 Jan 2016 SECC Glasgow Lanarkshire

31 Dec - 01 Jan 2016 Cardiff Glamorgan

then if members want further info on anything they can ask via a reply and hopefully someone will give them the info they require

WHAT DO YOU THINK ???

• Like 5
Paul McHaddan

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  4,108
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  4,218
  • Days Won:  243
  • Birthday:  14/04/1964

Gary what a brilliant idea i think this could work!!!

You could put at the bottom of the page ( Check before making long distances before travelling in case the event is cancelled)

• Like 1

Gary what a brilliant idea i think this could work!!!

You could put at the bottom of the page ( Check before making long distances before travelling in case the event is cancelled)

yes I could add all the normal disclaimers at the bottom of the page, I would also not accept any responsibility for others who post information

• Like 1

3) Publish A Plain List

Advantages - Easy to publish

Disadvantages - No search or sort. Either has to be compiled by one person, or multiple person's with one "combining & tidying"

I am still a firm believer that Coming Events is a major part of our Hobby and it also promotes/ supports the showmen which it is all about

So I have been thinking about this and I am willing to offer an alternative to the current coming event format which is just so time consuming and which no one else seams to want to take on

So the idea would be a weekly post on say a Monday / Tuesday for the coming week only, directly onto the forum and not in the current database, it would be a very simple / basic list of Fairs on that week (and that week only) and the membership can contribute by simply replying with any date that they have and they will have to as I will not be searching as before, they can then also answer anyone questions that may be asked and then the threat can be simply deleted at the end of the week ready for the next list to be added

some thing like

START - FINISH - LOCATION (nothing else)

04 Dec - 04 Dec Normanton West Yorkshire

04 Dec - 04 Dec Hanham, Bristol Somerset

05 Dec - 06 Dec Blackwood Gwent

05 Dec - 05 Dec Risca Gwent

05 Dec - 06 Dec Glasgow Lanarkshire

06 Dec - 06 Dec Otley West Yorkshire

10 Dec - 10 Dec Uttoxeter Staffordshire

11 Dec - 03 Jan 2016 Urmston Greater Manchester

11 Dec - 04 Jan 2016 Stonham Aspal Suffolk

12 Dec - 13 Dec Montrose Angus

12 Dec - 12 Dec Ringwood Hampshire

17 Dec - 30 Dec Barnstaple Devon

23 Dec - 17 Jan 2016 SECC Glasgow Lanarkshire

31 Dec - 01 Jan 2016 Cardiff Glamorgan

then if members want further info on anything they can ask via a reply and hopefully someone will give them the info they require

WHAT DO YOU THINK ???

I can see some mileage in this idea. To reduce work even further, the list could be extended to a month? I would be willing to maintain a list in this format in Excel and copy/paste to the forum when updated. I would not be willing to research all the events though, I don't have the time!

How about putting the "biggies" in the calendar - just a small percentage e.g. Nottingham, Newcastle, Hull, Stamford etc??

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  55
  • Birthday:  21/12/1966

I'd be devastated to see the end of Coming Events. Basically I joined this site for it's valuable input. Ok a whole years advanced notice might be a bit over the top, but the suggestion of only doing it weekly seems pointless. I've been to several fairs this year that I was previously unaware of,but they needed planning as going to a fair every week is financially impossible. If somebody could do Coming Events monthly it gives chance to pick 1 or 2 to visit. Also it might help those who get paid monthly and need to plan.

I'd be devastated to see the end of Coming Events. Basically I joined this site for it's valuable input. Ok a whole years advanced notice might be a bit over the top, but the suggestion of only doing it weekly seems pointless. I've been to several fairs this year that I was previously unaware of,but they needed planning as going to a fair every week is financially impossible. If somebody could do Coming Events monthly it gives chance to pick 1 or 2 to visit. Also it might help those who get paid monthly and need to plan.

are you volunteering then

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  55
  • Birthday:  21/12/1966

No good me volunteering Gaz, I haven't got a clue what's on or where.......like I said,that's the reason I joined this site to find out any info.