• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  166
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,647
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  2,894
  • Days Won:  6

Even BETTER value in a leap year :o an extra day for free :lol:

In all seriousness, a very small price to pay for such a resource and indeed, an information site.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
Jonathan Oakman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  298
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  329
  • Days Won:  3

I cannot seen to get in it said I don't have permission I wanted to look up rock o plane 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Paul McHaddan

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  4,110
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  4,220
  • Days Won:  243
  • Birthday:  14/04/1964

4 hours ago, Jonathan Oakman said:

I cannot seen to get in it said I don't have permission I wanted to look up rock o plane 

Jonathan please read this it will explain why you can't access the rides list....

All The Fun Of The Fair is primarily a message forum. However, over the years it has grown into so much more. We have A Rides List with details and photos of over 3500 UK Rides, A Transport List, Funfair Reports Archive and loads more. As far as I am aware, the information we provide is unique online. Providing adequate hosting and storage requires funding which I am unable to finance solely on my own.  Fortunately Forum Supporter donations are currently covering our costs - however this assumes that our hosting/storage bill doesn't go any higher and supporter numbers don't drop. Forum Supporters have been discussed in the forum recently and this has had a positive effect and numbers are up - we are secure, for the time being at least.

I don't however want to be complacent and I've been discussing with the Forum Panel various methods of encouraging donations. One suggestion was to look at the benefits of donation (apart from the obvious one of keeping this unique resource available!). And I have now enhanced the benefits available to forum supporters (please see http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/supporter-benefits/ for details)

Also discussed was making the Forum "Member Only", that is only accessible to those who do contribute financially. For various reasons, I don't want to implement this. However, if push comes to shove and the level of donations drops below our hosting and storage bills I WILL reconsider this option.

Another option discussed was restricting access to our biggest and most used feature - The Rides List - to paid subscriber only. I can see merit in this idea, but I still have reservations, primarily that the list was compiled and the information and photos supplied by a mixture of supporters and non-supporters and to exclude those who contributed to its success would be grossly unfair. I believe that it is important to balance who has access to the Rides List with those who have contributed to make it the success it is. I hope that I have achieved this with the following change in policy. 

Having considered all the advantages and disadvantages I have decided that access to the Rides List will eventually be restricted to Forum Supporters only, but this won't be done until it is necessary. I believe that by phasing in this restriction it will be fairer and I won't have to restrict access anymore than is necessary to achieve our aims.

Phase 1 - Has been completed. All new members to the forum will have unlimited access to all of the site except the Rides List - if they wish to access this additional feature they will need to support the forum financially (and with our lowest donation of just 10p a week it can hardly be described as expensive!)

Phase 2 - Is proving more difficult than I anticipated. If a member doesn't financially support the forum and has never contributed with content (that is has never posted) they will not be able to access the Rides List. I had a plugin to identify and move these members automatically, but it was unreliable, moving members who didn't fit the criteria. This is now a manual process and will take some time to complete.

Phase 3 - On 1st January 2018, the Rides List will further be restricted to the following:

1. Forum Supporters
  2. Members who have contributed to the Rides List
  3. Members who submit Funfair Reports

The software is able to automatically give Supporters Rides List access, so there is no work to do on this aspect. However, there is no way for the software to identify Rides List or Funfair Report contributors, so these members will have to be given access to the Rides List Manually.

If you are NOT a Forum Supporter, but have contributed to the Rides List or have submitted Funfair Reports I will have to manually give you access to the Rides List. Please drop me, @Bill Edwards or @Jamie Peters a PM indicating which Rides List Entry or Funfair Report you have contributed to and we will do the rest. I've announced this now so that I have time to allow all those members who should have access to be able to access the list when it's restricted in just over two months time. 

I hope that you understand why this change of policy has been thought necessary and hope that you feel as I do and the Forum Panel does, that by restricting access to Forum Supporters and Contributor's to The Rides List and Funfair reports that the policy is being implemented fairly. 

Many thanks for your continued support.

Bill

• Thanks 1
Jamie Peters

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  328
  • Achievement Points:  328
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/08/1989

@Jonathan Oakman as @Waltzerman said above it was decided several months ago to restrict the rides list to either supporters or members who had previously contributed to the rides list or forum reports, this was to secure the future of the forum, and from 1st Jan this year the rides list became restricted.

If you've contributed to the rides list or reports in the past please message myself or Bill with details and we can change your account to access the rides list again, HOWEVER, on the 21st April the rides list will be restricted further to forum supporters (paid members) ONLY - Please see @Bill Edwards's post for more details and the full reasoning behind this change -

Jonathan Oakman

I am happy to do a  report but I couldn't think who owned the ride that's why I wanted to look it up I know some of them but not all 

Jonathan Oakman

ive posted a report and will be getting some photos by the weekend

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Katherine Birkett

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  63

I don't have a functioning PayPal account as I had problems with it using Ebay and I don't think I've used it in over a decade. I think I'm still registered but I can't remember my username and passport. I could pay by cheque but it would be far, far easier to pay with my credit/debit card, which seems to be the future. Will this be a payment option soon? 

Edited by Katherine Birkett
  • Thanks 1
Bill Edwards

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  2,380
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,067
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

2 minutes ago, Katherine Birkett said:

I don't have a functioning PayPal account as I had problems with it using Ebay and I don't think I've used it in over a decade. I think I'm still registered but I can't remember my username and passport. I could pay by cheque but it would be far, far easier to pay with my credit/debit card, which seems to be the future. Will this be a payment option soon? 

Sorry, no. Its far too complicated and expensive to set myself up to take card payments, especially since PayPal already do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. 

I can accept cheque, cash, bank transfer as well as PayPal. 

All the best 

Bill

Jonathan Oakman

so ive posted a fair report and uploaded photos but still cant assees the rides this 

Nick Attwell

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  273
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  273
  • Birthday:  14/03/1961

I volunteer at a community CMHT training cafe

Like Bill not cost effective to install & accept chip & Pin

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  214
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  228
  • Birthday:  01/04/1969

11 hours ago, Jonathan Oakman said:

so ive posted a fair report and uploaded photos but still cant assees the rides this 

I didnt think it was retrospective??? 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Graham Smith

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  6
  • Achievement Points:  6

Hi Bill, 

how owe do I contribute to funds. Would appreciate access to the rides list, if you can let me know quickest safest way to send some financial support, would very much appreciate it. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1
Roger Peatman

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,821
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  1,848
  • Days Won:  7

54 minutes ago, Graham Smith said:

Hi Bill, 

how owe do I contribute to funds. Would appreciate access to the rides list, if you can let me know quickest safest way to send some financial support, would very much appreciate it. Keep up the good work. 

PM sent.

• 11 months later...
Steven Cooper

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  11
  • Achievement Points:  11

Hi if I pay the fee will I be able to access the ride list