• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  739
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  03/01/1985

Gary, you have hit the nail well and truly on the head. Recently we have seen newcomers and people of past returning to the forum which I think is fantastic and goes to prove that things are turning a corner.

I will continue to support the forum financially as it is more than worth it. I don't think adverts are a good idea for these reasons 1) I don't believe the target audience will be large enough for most prospective adverisers to pay a decent amount to list their ads. 2) Adverts and pop ups are bloody annoying and it is nice that one of the main websites I visit (here) don't have them.

As for hosting photos off site on Facebook and Flickr, no! Not everyone has an interest in Facebook and I actively steer clear of it for my own personal reasons. One being the amount of arguments, bullsh#t and drama. Flickr is a wonderful site with lots of fairground pictures but we should have full ownership of our photos and resources.

If anyone is reading this who is new here or even a long time memeber, please stop and consider is this place worth a fiver? If I drive into town and park my car it can cost me that just for a few hour. I then spend the same again on coffee, probably more! 

Finally, I think Gary has a good point with showmen having granted free access. They are the provider of our hobby after all and it also goes towards fostering the good relations we aim for. 

• Like 3

• Group:  Supporter
  • Topic Count:  1,119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  4,101
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Achievement Points:  4,211
  • Days Won:  243
  • Birthday:  14/04/1964

17 minutes ago, Gary Witcomb said:

The Team does not have to decide what to do the Members do its everyone Forum, at the start of this thread the membership were asked for Suggestions on how we could deal with an issue but sadly very few can be bothered to participate / Contribute 

I don't want any photos to be deleted or archived and nor do i want them hosted off site

I don't really want adverts

This leave option 2 for me,

Well if there was a poll to the membership i would vote for this in a heart beat and let me tell you why i have been a member of this Forum for over 10 year and have supported financially from the start because i believe this is a very important resource, there is info on this site you will not find else ware "FACT" , you state the Forum would die in 5 years, i don't believe that for 1 min, yes membership numbers would drop and frankly would that be a bad thing, i believe with say a backbone of genuine Enthusiasts who all financially support the Forum they would not allow it to just Die, in fact the Forum might even thrive as we would all be like minded members with one goal to make this forum work and without all the BULL sh*t 

i'm sick to the back teeth of all the moaners / dissenters / Free loaders who just take and never give anything back in return, others take pleasure in knocking the Forum at every chance they get, despite this they continue to be members you have to ask why !!

Far to many believe this forum should be totally free just like Facebook, well it cant so get over it, if you can find what you are looking for else ware FREE your free to leave but shut the door on your way out 

Just for the record i would allow all showmen  who we rely on for our hobby, totally free access after any change to a paid up membership as i also believe they play a big part in the Forum & our Hobby and i would be happy to pay more to allow this service to Showmen only 

Finally 

As for the Team there dammed if they do and Dammed if they don't, its about time the Membership got behind the Team who are trying there very best to keep this Forum afloat

Amazing words Gary & every word is 100% true thank you Gary just wish members would be like you & support this fantastic forum 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 4
Peter van der Knaap

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  242
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  242
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  30/04/1965

Let me ask a couple of questions. Suppose I've never visited this forum. Why would I start paying money on something like this? How are you going to promote the existence of this forum and make sure you will get new members? What are you offering, that others don't have?

Pictures? If I've never visited you, I won't know what you have in here. A place for discussion? That can be done elsewhere too.

I've seen fora who went from free to a subscription which really became a dead place. In the end, you will get substantial costs for photo's almost nobody sees because they don't know what's there and fewer people who will contribute...

Edited by Peter van der Knaap
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  686
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  4,720
  • Content Per Day:  0.82
  • Achievement Points:  4,723
  • Days Won:  118
  • Birthday:  17/03/1964

58 minutes ago, Peter van der Knaap said:

Let me ask a couple of questions. Suppose I've never visited this forum. Why would I start paying money on something like this? How are you going to promote the existence of this forum and make sure you will get new members? What are you offering, that others don't have?

Pictures? If I've never visited you, I won't know what you have in here. A place for discussion? That can be done elsewhere too.

I've seen fora who went from free to a subscription which really became a dead place. In the end, you will get substantial costs for photo's almost nobody sees because they don't know what's there and fewer people who will contribute...

With all due respect I don't think you have any idea about the British fairground enthusiast movement

we have two fully paid up organisation the fairground society and the fairground association of great Britain both have many 100's of members all paying £15 per year and unless you join you cant see what your getting until after you pay

We also have a national fairground newspaper which cost £60 a year many houndreds subscribe and pay in advance without knowing what you get 

Some of us pay our money to be better informed and I just don't think you get that and never will 

You are correct you can see photos all over the internet (but would say alot get lifted from this site) you can have any number of discussions on Facebook  but have to wade thought more bull  sh*t than on this site but one thing they can't offer is the historical data that this site contains

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,643
  • Achievement Points:  2,890
  • Days Won:  6

A good point that's been raised is

What's the point of keeping pictures that haven't been captioned ?. they can't be searched for without a tag or a name to them

That in itself was a very good point, as what use exactly is a picture if it doesn't tell you what/where/when it relates to , and how do you find  a certain ride if the picture has no information with or on it ?

It's probably about as much use as a chocolate watch or an ashtray on a motorbike.

it would be easy ( ish) to go and delete EVERY picture that is not captioned and save a fortune on storage costs, but that goes against the whole principle of sharing photos about our hobby with each other.

• Like 2

• Group:  No Longer A Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  630
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  19/12/1977

8 hours ago, Steve Barton said:

Let me just get this right you think that we should set up either a FLICKR account or a secret Facebook page to store our photos on ?

Do you know just how much work would be involved in moving photos from our storage server to FLICKR or Facebook who is going to do this work let me guess the Team who at present all pay to be Supporters for the privilege of running this Forum in our spare time because you might not realise this but we all have full time jobs.

Have you tried finding certain photos on Facebook two hours after they have been posted because you can't do a photo search on Facebook so how would anybody find anything they were looking for.

FLICKR is free upto a certain point I think it's 1TB after that you have to pay if Members don't use small file sizes when posting photos that 1TB will be used up in no time.

I take it that when you say Members only you mean Members who are happy to Support this Forum.

Backward step or not a few adverts isn't going to bring in the income some people think it will this Forum is "All The Fun of The Fair" the only people who have heard of it are people who are involved in or interested in Fairgrounds so the volume of people who visit this Forum is not something that would be on Saatchi & Saatchi's radar.

The person who first brought up about adverts on the Forum now says they wouldn't "want pop ups or adverts that scream out at you" well if we have to sell out to get adverts then it's anything that pays the bills.

Thank you to the Members who have said that they are willing to increase their subscriptions to help with the costs at least there are people who can see the value of keeping this Forum, it's just a pity that there are others who will do anything rather than pay £5 to support the Forum.

The sad face button is below.

did you want a opinion  or not  sorry if you dont like it  but  its only a opinion and a option 

2 hours ago, Gary Witcomb said:

With all due respect I don't think you have any idea about the British fairground enthusiast movement

we have two fully paid up organisation the fairground society and the fairground association of great Britain both have many 100's of members all paying £15 per year and unless you join you cant see what your getting until after you pay

We also have a national fairground newspaper which cost £60 a year many houndreds subscribe and pay in advance without knowing what you get 

Some of us pay our money to be better informed and I just don't think you get that and never will 

You are correct you can see photos all over the internet (but would say alot get lifted from this site) you can have any number of discussions on Facebook  but have to wade thought more bull  sh*t than on this site but one thing they can't offer is the historical data that this site contains

how totally arrogant is that  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  169
  • Achievement Points:  183
  • Days Won:  4

At the risk of restarting the old debate.

Can we have a run down of the forum costs? Just an overall annual figure that needs to be hit so as the forum can continue to run?

I count myself as a seasoned fairground enthusiast, more casual perhaps than I used to be. My interest in the forum is casual, as many silent members will be. I drop in to look at Vintage, For Sales, General Forum, and occasionally dip into others. Photos aren't my major concern. If this site went pay only I'd probably drift away. 

A lot of users will be more casual than the vocal minority, hence why pay only is going to probably cause issues.

However as a casual user if the annual number the forum had to reach was £5k and it was sitting on £3k I'd be tempted to put a tenner or more in the pot to try and help. I'm not as easy about blindly chucking money at something (as I've said before). I like to make an informed choice. 

• Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,624
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  4,736
  • Days Won:  122
  • Birthday:  10/12/1961

8 hours ago, Ormester101 said:

did you want a opinion  or not  sorry if you dont like it  but  its only a opinion and a option 

Yes and I've replied to your opinion or did you not want replies your opinions.

Gary has only provided his side as he sees it or are other people's opinions or ideas not wanted. 

• Like 1

As per the Topic title, 

" Photo storage - suggestions please"

The fact we asked for your suggestions, which we're grateful for, also implies that we may respond to them.

On the basis of allowing the thread to flow to eventually solve an issue that could effect the forum, we've allowed everyone to express opinion.

For that reason please allow others to express theirs as well. Obviously normal courtesy rules apply.

Thank you.

Harry

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ormester101 said:

at least i'm arrogant (Your words not mine) in my own name !!

Edited by Gary Witcomb

18 hours ago, harry monk said:

A good point that's been raised is

What's the point of keeping pictures that haven't been captioned ?. they can't be searched for without a tag or a name to them

That in itself was a very good point, as what use exactly is a picture if it doesn't tell you what/where/when it relates to , and how do you find  a certain ride if the picture has no information with or on it ?

It's probably about as much use as a chocolate watch or an ashtray on a motorbike.

it would be easy ( ish) to go and delete EVERY picture that is not captioned and save a fortune on storage costs, but that goes against the whole principle of sharing photos about our hobby with each other.

agree to a point  but all Photo topic should stated were /when in the topic heading which could still be useful in years to come even if you just searching for a place etc 

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  91
  • Achievement Points:  95
  • Days Won:  0

Well my idea would be to delete the photos section, and keep the ride list in place to me the ride list is a must its a valuable resource to a lot of people, I only visit the forum for that the influx of FB groups have killed forums like these and I can see all the photos I want on that platform, so what I am saying is I probably wouldn't come on the forum at all if it wasn't for the rides list and ride changes I have to be honest. 

Just for the record the way I see it there are two types of enthusiasts

The ones that goes to fairs and do vlogs etc ride the rides etc and don't have any interest in history of the fair machines owners etc

And 

The one that loves everything attached to the fair,  the ones I call the old skool hardcore enthusiasts  

• Like 3

Also sorry for gabbling on I find it extremely disappointing there has not been more responsive input by members I dunno what the total member count of the forum is but this topic was started on the 10th its now the 18th and the response is shocking. 

The way I see it contribute have your voice or your lose the bloody lot and then everyone loses out.

• Like 3

• Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,624
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  4,736
  • Days Won:  122
  • Birthday:  10/12/1961

21 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Well my idea would be to delete the photos section, and keep the ride list in place to me the ride list is a must its a valuable resource to a lot of people, I only visit the forum for that the influx of FB groups have killed forums like these and I can see all the photos I want on that platform, so what I am saying is I probably wouldn't come on the forum at all if it wasn't for the rides list and ride changes I have to be honest. 

If we delete the photo section because you don't use it what about all the other Members who do use it they wouldn't be happy with your suggestion.  Some of them might not use the Rides List and they would want to delete that Forum which I guess you wouldn't be happy with . We have to find a solution that is agreeable to most Members.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  545
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  1,403
  • Days Won:  23
  • Birthday:  24/11/1992

16 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Just for the record the way I see it there are two types of enthusiasts

The ones that goes to fairs and do vlogs etc ride the rides etc and don't have any interest in history of the fair machines owners etc

And 

The one that loves everything attached to the fair,  the ones I call the old skool hardcore enthusiasts  

Where do I stand then? I go to the fairs, take photos/videos, ride the rides on occasion, chat at length with showmen about all sorts of things including the history of the fair machines ownership etc, always happy to help be it working on a ride or running to the local shop to get something.

BUT ask anyone and they will tell you i hate building up/pulling down and then take the p*** out of me because i'm useless at it. I also have no interest in seeing a ride as a load whatsoever but am always happy if i catch a glimpse of a showman on the road as it's not a common sight around here.

Some of us who run round with the camera as you probably see it also have a genuine interest in the history and I wouldn't want to see either the photos section or rides list removed.

• Like 4

Don't panic anyone, the Photo section isn't going or disappearing.

It's as relevant to some members as the Rides list is to others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harry monk said:

Don't panic anyone, the Photo section isn't going or disappearing.

It's as relevant to some members as the Rides list is to others.

So what is happening then?

2 hours ago, Steve Barton said:

If we delete the photo section because you don't use it what about all the other Members who do use it they wouldn't be happy with your suggestion.  Some of them might not use the Rides List and they would want to delete that Forum which I guess you wouldn't be happy with . We have to find a solution that is agreeable to most Members.

Not going to happen is it if no one can be  [bothered] to contribute even to this thread, and you can bet your [bottom] if you removed somethings the ones that never commented will be the first to  moan, I see you guys have got a real problem on your hands.

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

So what is happening then?

'work in progress' so to speak. Will update everyone when its been decided on the course of action.

Lot's of luck 

Edited by Octopus
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Not going to happen is it if no one can be  [bothered] to contribute even to this thread, and you can bet your [bottom] if you removed somethings the ones that never commented will be the first to  moan, I see you guys have got a real problem on your hands.

Sadly , your correct about contributions to this thread, and your also right about the first to moan are usually the ones who didn't speak when they had the chance.

We ( the Team) decided to throw this out to the members to help us solve the problem, which as i said earlier, is undecided at this moment, BUT we wont be losing ANY of our forums in the process.

it's purely about managing costs as time goes on regarding photo storage.

• Like 2
Peter van der Knaap

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  242
  • Achievement Points:  242
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  30/04/1965

23 hours ago, Gary Witcomb said:

Let me react on this. All these organisations publish magazines or newspapers. So everyone who wants to have a membership (or subscription) will surely first get their hands on an issue of that magazine or newspaper to see what's in it and act accordingly. Also, the organisations mentioned by you all have websites which clearly state what they are doing and even give a good impression on what you get (especially the fairground association of Great Britain has a very good website for promotion). This forum hasn't got a good website. You need some sort of "selling point" to get new members to join. These potential new members need to have some idea what's in here before the pay wall comes up. If you don't do so, this forum will slowly die do to lack of new blood.

And on paying money: I've stated that I will pay if the Team publishes financial information which gives me a good idea on what we're talking about. I'm not going to pay money for something, when I don't know where the money is going. But payment alone isn't going to be the solution in the long run as I've stated above...

And the last thing: wouldn't one of the mentioned newspapers or associations want to have acces to the mentioned historical data too? Isn't it possible to make an arrangement with these association where photo storage is concerned? Perhaps they can be of assistance?

1 hour ago, harry monk said:

Sadly , your correct about contributions to this thread, and your also right about the first to moan are usually the ones who didn't speak when they had the chance.

We ( the Team) decided to throw this out to the members to help us solve the problem, which as i said earlier, is undecided at this moment, BUT we wont be losing ANY of our forums in the process.

it's purely about managing costs as time goes on regarding photo storage.

That's why I react. Personally, I think that if a member doesn't react on such a question, he loses the right to moan afterwards...

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,178
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,478
  • Days Won:  2

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:23, Gary Witcomb said:

I don't think gary is being at all arrogant, just offering a contrast between one on the one hand wanting to know where the money goes and the proven fact that hundreds of people in the uk are members of and buying things on fairgrounds without any prior knowledge of the editorial content, and sorry peter but one does indeed just pay and find out after, I understand if you were to visit some rallies and shows the Fairground Society will have copies to peruse but its in person! and the FAGB doesn't provide this service anymore or at least very rarely, I think you can see the worlds fair online? but not sure if its free, the point gary was making was that we join up thinking woooooo! fairground stuff and send off a cheque and he's not sure if other nationalities would feel that way I guess,? we are constantly being told of all the wonderful stuff online for free on fairgrounds, I joined on here in 2006 and years earlier for worlds fair and the 2 organisations and in all that time ive found 3 other fairground things online worth looking at, 1 has only had one update since last October leaving 2, im more than happy to admit im crxp at finding stuff online so please, EVERYONE don't just tell me put a link up eh? and let me in on this " wonderfull stuff"

• Like 4

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  169
  • Achievement Points:  183
  • Days Won:  4

7 hours ago, Paul Needham said:

I don't think gary is being at all arrogant, just offering a contrast between one on the one hand wanting to know where the money goes and the proven fact that hundreds of people in the uk are members of and buying things on fairgrounds without any prior knowledge of the editorial content, and sorry peter but one does indeed just pay and find out after, I understand if you were to visit some rallies and shows the Fairground Society will have copies to peruse but its in person! and the FAGB doesn't provide this service anymore or at least very rarely, I think you can see the worlds fair online? but not sure if its free, the point gary was making was that we join up thinking woooooo! fairground stuff and send off a cheque and he's not sure if other nationalities would feel that way I guess,? we are constantly being told of all the wonderful stuff online for free on fairgrounds, I joined on here in 2006 and years earlier for worlds fair and the 2 organisations and in all that time ive found 3 other fairground things online worth looking at, 1 has only had one update since last October leaving 2, im more than happy to admit im crxp at finding stuff online so please, EVERYONE don't just tell me put a link up eh? and let me in on this " wonderfull stuff"

It is true that for commercial publications one does pay and receive the goods. There is an understanding that the company is making money. They make it by exchanging their goods or services for your cash.

The forum is much more akin to the FAGB or the FS, a club run by enthusiasts. Both of those have annual accounts so as the members (whom ultimately are in charge) can see where the money is spent and ask relevant questions. I've seen some excellent results at AGMs from such questions leading to cost reductions. 

It isn't difficult. It is a logical request. It is boggling that such a request has lead to the resignation of the forums founder and continued silence on the subject.

This forum is a great resource, probably one worth paying for. But in exchange for that I do not think it is unfair to ask for transparency - which is good for all sides.

This being the internet and a lot of internet content being free (even if usually a bit naff) you are going to probably have to that extra mile to persuade people to cough up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  548
  • Content Count:  1,183
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  1,207
  • Days Won:  106

Is there anyway of limiting how many photos on each topic? With exception of some of big fairs, but smaller fairs put a limit with a maximum number of photos per thread?