• Topic Count:  2,561
  • Topics Per Day:  0.33
  • Content Count:  5,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.73
  • Achievement Points:  7,535
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Dear All

Due to the success of our message forum it has to be hosted in professional space and due to the large number of photos we store, we require additional storage. Whilst we do all we can to manage storage, the fact remains that what we use, we must pay for. None of the Forum Team is in a position to finance the forum totally, but we all donate towards it's running costs.

At one point we were in imminent danger of losing the forum due to a lack of voluntary donations. The Team decided that we would keep as much as possible of the forum "free" and restrict the Rides List to those who contributed financially. This has been successful to the point that we have been able to lower the minimum donation to just £2 per year.

The Rides List is now in two parts:

1) Free Rides List - This fully accessible by all members who can post details of new rides and reply with updates and photos to existing rides. There is no ride or owner history

2) Restricted Rides List - This is a read only list and only accessible by Forum Supporters. There is as much ride and owner history as we know. It will, as the work gets done, have the best photos from the site and links to off site resources

If you wish to access the Restricted Rides List you will need to make a minimum donation of £2.00 per year. Members who don't wish to donate will still have free access to the rest of the forum, including the Free Rides List - many, many gigabytes of photos, fair reports, discussions etc - a unique online resource. Those who wish to access the Restricted Rides List will have to make a minimum donation of £2 a year. This is far, far lower than a magazine subscription or membership of a club and, in my view and the view of the the Forum Team represents excellent value for money. It works out at just under 4 PENCE per week and will ensure the forum is available for the foreseeable future.

We fully appreciate that the situation isn't ideal - we would love to keep the forum totally free, but we cannot finance the forum ourselves and voluntary donations were at a level that losing the entire forum was a real and imminent possibility.

You may be asking "If I can access the free rides list, why should I support the forum"? And there are 3 good reasons:

1) Only the Restricted List has full owner and history detail

2) We have plans in place to expand the photos and information available (long term plans and lots of work!)

3) Without YOUR support there is a risk that donation levels will drop below our bills and at that point the forum will close

If you wish to support the forum, you can do so by clicking the Forum Supporters Link above

support.png

We can accept donations by PayPal, Cash or Bank transfer. If you are having any difficulties, please contact me and we'll sort something out.

We wish to thank all those members who have donated - you are keeping the forum available - THANK YOU!

All the best

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Bill Edwards pinned this topic
John Carter

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  502
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  493
  • Days Won:  5

Am I missing something here? Taking the Moonrocket at Dingles as an example, I've visited the forum from Google and looked at the Rides List without logging in. I've also visited from my Firefox bookmarks and logged in. In both instances the Rides List seems to be exactly the same.

Bill Edwards

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7

55 minutes ago, John Carter said:

Am I missing something here? Taking the Moonrocket at Dingles as an example, I've visited the forum from Google and looked at the Rides List without logging in. I've also visited from my Firefox bookmarks and logged in. In both instances the Rides List seems to be exactly the same.

Something has gone amiss with the permission settings - I'm looking into it

Bill Edwards

1 hour ago, Bill Edwards said:

Something has gone amiss with the permission settings - I'm looking into it

Apologies, only forum supporters should be able to access the Restricted Rides list. Unfortunately I had not set some of the permissions correctly. I've now updated them and it should be right now. Many thanks for pointing it out,

• Thanks 1
Derek Hopkins

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  130
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  29/11/1954

I've just noticed that the Matterhorn entry has disappeared from the restricted list. It was on there yesterday as I looked something up. It is still on the free access list.

41 minutes ago, Derek Hopkins said:

I've just noticed that the Matterhorn entry has disappeared from the restricted list. It was on there yesterday as I looked something up. It is still on the free access list.

Again, apologies - I edited the permissions on 125 forums today and again made a mistake!

Hopefully we're there now

Best Wishes Good Luck GIF by Studios 2016

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1