Do you have any NEW Ideas for the Forum?

Bill Edwards

Bill Edwards

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  2,387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,888
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,113
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

Dear All

The Moderator Team and myself are constantly looking for new ideas (or even old ideas) that would improve the forum.

Two recent changes have seen the introduction of the Calendar and putting the Classified Adverts back into a forum and making them FREE!

If YOU have any suggestions at all, please let us know! You can reply here, or send me a PM or PM one of the other Mods/Admins.

The Mod/Admin team will give serious consideration to ALL SUGGESTIONS.

Many Thanks

Bill

Bill Edwards

I've split the various suggestions off into their own topics so we can discuss properly & get feedback.

By all means post suggestions here or start a new post if you prefer.

All the best

Bill

Dave Colridge

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  124
  • Days Won:  9

What about a technical / mechanical type of topic? For example - How does this work? or How do I do this? this could apply to all aspects namely rides, transport, electrical, painting etc. I am sure that there are people on this Forum that have a question about something and that there are people who could help or give advice. I have seen this type of question arise in the past but perhaps it could have its own catagory.

Just a thought.

Dave

Edited by Dave Colridge
  • Like 3

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  61
  • Days Won:  0

Similar to "coming events", could people post details of fairs they know are on in their area, for example having spotted posters or newspaper ads?

The coming events section is very useful but quite sparse?

Historical Funfair Reports

For nostalgia, reports up until, say year 2000. From personal recolletions of perhaps old Worlds Fair reports.

???

Bill Edwards

Similar to "coming events", could people post details of fairs they know are on in their area, for example having spotted posters or newspaper ads?

The coming events section is very useful but quite sparse?

Historical Funfair Reports

For nostalgia, reports up until, say year 2000. From personal recolletions of perhaps old Worlds Fair reports.

???

Many thanks for the suggestions.

If we are made of aware of funfairs, we add them to the coming events section. I don't see any mileage in duplicating them into a section "similar to coming events" when we have coming events :wacko:

We have funfair reports going back to 1999. To ensure accuracy we ask that members provide the details from personal knowledge. If anyone wants to add reports to the archive and can do so from personal knowledge then we will be happy to include them!

Bill

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  142
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,064
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1,084
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/08/1967

Hi Guys, I would like you to add a section onto the forum to make it possible for us to delete our own posts if they are not getting any responses. Also I would like you to make it possible for us to post details of any fairs that are taking place that are not listed on the coming events page.

Hope this helps

• Group:  Administrator
  • Topic Count:  1,152
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  8,985
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Achievement Points:  9,475
  • Days Won:  172
  • Birthday:  16/03/1951

Hi Guys, I would like you to make it possible for us to post details of any fairs that are taking place that are not listed on the coming events page.

If we are made aware of funfairs, we add them to the coming events section. I don't see any mileage in duplicating them into a section "similar to coming events" when we have coming events :wacko:

Bill

Hi Guys, I would like you to add a section onto the forum to make it possible for us to delete our own posts if they are not getting any responses.

Hope this helps

Sorry, no, this isn't possible.

We have a very quick, very simple process in place where posts can be deleted - you click the report button and a Moderator deletes it. It's worked well for a number of years.

If we give members the ability to remove posts it causes chaos because members will never be able to remove other members posts.

I'll try and explain (I know the post you are referring to):-

Member A posts a question

Member B replies

Member A deletes his question

We are then left with a reply that, without a question makes no sense at all. The only other option is to allow Member A to delete his question AND Member B's reply. This could be fine with one question and one answer, but what with longer posts with many replies?

It's too difficult when we have a tried and tested process in place!

GeorginaBailliesNumber1Fan

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  341

Yes sounds good as it is.

Edited by EA UltraModernSpeedway

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Achievement Points:  8

Have a section where the country is divided into sub forums and each town is added into that area that holds a fair/show

That way if i want to know about up and coming events in the North East i can quickly look it in the North East section and then click on Sunderland or Newcastle etc

This is an example of an aviation forum with different sub sections, a lot of work to start with but once complete it would work a treat

post-277-0-54019700-1411602494_thumb.jpg

Have a section where the country is divided into sub forums and each town is added into that area that holds a fair/show

That way if i want to know about up and coming events in the North East i can quickly look it in the North East section and then click on Sunderland or Newcastle etc

This is an example of an aviation forum with different sub sections, a lot of work to start with but once complete it would work a treat

attachicon.giffun fair areas.jpg

Given that most Towns/Cities hold funfairs, that is a serious amount of additional forums we would need to create - It may work for a couple of dozen air bases, but EVERY UK Town? I have my doubts. And what would the advantage be over the fully searchable Coming Events? At present I search "Bedfordshire" and instantly get a list of my Local Fairs.

I'm not dismissing the idea, but it is a lot of work, would use a lot of resources and, in my opinion, be less flexible/useful than what we have at present!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Achievement Points:  8

Aye fair point Bill, it would be a major amount of work :unsure:

Aye fair point Bill, it would be a major amount of work :unsure:

It's not just the work - I don't mind the work if I can see some advantage, but I can't!

How is this better than using coming events and searching for the Town you want to look at?

Sorry just wanted to shove my 2cents in on what Lee posted. I can see where Lee's coming from on this and in some aspects it would work, but Bill you have a good point, it would take a lot of man hours to compile this. If I'm not mistaken there's around 200 fairs a day, including non-guild and those ones we don't see covered. It would mean serious coverage to do that kind of thing.

Maybe if Coming Events was a bit easier to use (even I have some issues with it), and maybe updated a lot more, then it would be more user friendly. But overall the age old saying then kicks in, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What issues are you having - we'll sort them!

Updated more? We (Mike Willis actually) add EVERY event we know about. What more can we do? We can't add events we don't know about :)

Incidentally, it doesn't matter what system we use or how we catalogue them, if we don't know about an event it won't be listed weather in a database, calendar or heap of forums :)

• Topic Count:  461
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,122
  • Days Won:  42

Please, please can we have the "Where Is It" & "Spotted" Forums back? :wub:

If I had to choose one, it would be "Where Is It", as I think that's a very useful Forum and better not to be mixed in with the general Forum.

Edited by Trojanhorse11

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  273
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  273
  • Days Won:  3

Please, please can we have the "Where Is It" & "Spotted" Forums back? :wub:

If I had to choose one, it would be "Where Is It", as I think that's a very useful Forum and better not to be mixed in with the general Forum.

We cut back to make things simpler for everyone. Every day we had to move posts from the General Forum to 'Where Is' and 'Spotted' because members had too many confusing choices.

The General forum is the one most people read, so any 'Where Is' type posts you make are more likely to be read now :)

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  461
  • Content Count:  1,120
  • Achievement Points:  1,122
  • Days Won:  42

We cut back to make things simpler for everyone. Every day we had to move posts from the General Forum to 'Where Is' and 'Spotted' because members had too many confusing choices.

The General forum is the one most people read, so any 'Where Is' type posts you make are more likely to be read now :)

OK Mike. Understood.

• 4 weeks later...

Heres an idea.How about a fairground book review section.As im sure many members have read a lot of books on fairgrounds.While im on the subject i would like to review a fairground book i have just read.What forum do i post it in at present?

Heres an idea.How about a fairground book review section.As im sure many members have read a lot of books on fairgrounds.While im on the subject i would like to review a fairground book i have just read.What forum do i post it in at present?

I don't see us getting sufficient reviews to justify a forum of its own, but I see no reason why these can't be posted in the "General Message Forum"

I don't see us getting sufficient reviews to justify a forum of its own, but I see no reason why these can't be posted in the "General Message Forum"

Thank you Bill i will post it their tommorow.

What about a section for old time fairground reports?Or could we post them in the Vintage fun fairs section?

If we did would it be possible to put approx date?As im sure it would be very difficult to get the exact dates,Especially the really older fair reports.

What about a section for old time fairground reports?Or could we post them in the Vintage fun fairs section?

If we did would it be possible to put approx date?As im sure it would be very difficult to get the exact dates,Especially the really older fair reports.

I am unsure what you are proposing and need some more info in able to consider/discuss with the Mods

How many reports are you talking about? Where is the info coming from? What info are you looking to include?

Please expand on your idea :)

I am unsure what you are proposing and need some more info in able to consider/discuss with the Mods

How many reports are you talking about? Where is the info coming from? What info are you looking to include?

Please expand on your idea :)

Well i was thinking in terms of the info coming from memory.as many reports as people can remember.Lessee, dates, rides that can be remembered been there.Therfor for instance if it was uncomplete other members could add info on the fair in question.So it could be Holbeck Leeds 1980 joe blogs ark and waltzer but cant remember whos dodgem anyone like to add.Or if we have to be more specific, only post the report if we know the full line up.Another idea was slightly different,how about where a certain ride went in a full season,all the places and aprox dates.Hope this explains a little better.

Jonathan Williamson

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Achievement Points:  1,189
  • Days Won:  32

Well i was thinking in terms of the info coming from memory.as many reports as people can remember.Lessee, dates, rides that can be remembered been there.Therfor for instance if it was uncomplete other members could add info on the fair in question.So it could be Holbeck Leeds 1980 joe blogs ark and waltzer but cant remember whos dodgem anyone like to add.Or if we have to be more specific, only post the report if we know the full line up.Another idea was slightly different,how about where a certain ride went in a full season,all the places and aprox dates.Hope this explains a little better.

Better of working forward rather than backwards. What's the point of writing a report for 30 odd years ago? I know I won't be visiting that fair lol

• Like 2

Better of working forward rather than backwards. What's the point of writing a report for 30 odd years ago? I know I won't be visiting that fair lol

I am not sure that it would attract enough interest to justify it's own section, but could be tacked onto the Reports Section.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this idea??