• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  150
  • Days Won:  0

Every time I look through the coming events and current fun fair reports, I always have Google maps open so I can look where they are. This got me thinking about a way which could improve the website. Would it be possible for there to be a Google map, with tags where the fun fairs are around the country? You could use an iFrame to make it possible, embedded into the coming events forum area, in a new topic. When people post coming events, there could be a field where the member would enter the location of the fair directly into it, and another for the dates. This could then be used to create a title for the topic, as most titles consist of the location and dates. Not only would the save people writing their own titles, but also this information could be used within the map of fun fairs. The location and dates could automatically be input into the new feature. Current fun fairs could have a red tag, and future ones (within two weeks) could have a blue tag on their location.

All of this is just an idea, and don't know how other people plan their trips to fun fairs. However, if there is some interest in this idea to slightly modernise the website, and make it more user friendly, please could you say. This is just a suggestion.

• Group:  Root Admin
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  2,387
  • Topics Per Day:  0.31
  • Content Count:  6,888
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Achievement Points:  7,113
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  08/02/1963

1 hour ago, Henry Moody said:

Every time I look through the coming events and current fun fair reports, I always have Google maps open so I can look where they are. This got me thinking about a way which could improve the website. Would it be possible for there to be a Google map, with tags where the fun fairs are around the country? You could use an iFrame to make it possible, embedded into the coming events forum area, in a new topic. When people post coming events, there could be a field where the member would enter the location of the fair directly into it, and another for the dates. This could then be used to create a title for the topic, as most titles consist of the location and dates. Not only would the save people writing their own titles, but also this information could be used within the map of fun fairs. The location and dates could automatically be input into the new feature. Current fun fairs could have a red tag, and future ones (within two weeks) could have a blue tag on their location.

All of this is just an idea, and don't know how other people plan their trips to fun fairs. However, if there is some interest in this idea to slightly modernise the website, and make it more user friendly, please could you say. This is just a suggestion.

I think it's a brilliant idea, but, I suspect, beyond my technical capabilities and probably beyond the capabilities of the software we use. If you know how it could be done, or can point me in the right direction, we could certainly consider the idea. 

I have had a very shallow look into this :)

There are two possibilities available either within the existing software or using a plugin.

However both would require either a complete change in the way we record Coming Events or would need to be run along side our current Coming Events system and I'm not convinced a dual system is feasible/desirable.

I've added the details of two events to the two easily available possibilities - purely for your information/comment

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/index.php?app=membermap&module=markers&controller=groups&id=2

http://www.fun-fairs.co.uk/calendar/8-coming-events/

What concerns me is Who is going to do the work? The inputting? The tidying up? Editing incorrect locations? I had to give up the Coming Event because of the time it was taking and the lack of input from members.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,826
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  1,853
  • Days Won:  7

Quite a clever little idea, but not sure how beneficial it would be.

Most of us these days just use sat nav to get around the country, and as always, there is the issue of maintenance.

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  860
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  4,339
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Achievement Points:  4,388
  • Days Won:  153

As long as you have a road name, venue or even a postcode which is what the majority of the info in coming events carries, then why do you need to add a map on google, sorry i just dont see the need for it to be added.

• Like 2

I suspect that what Henry is after is a map that he can browse with various fairs marked on it and clicking on the marks gives him the details. I can see the idea, but can't see how or who will implement it. 

• Group:  Supporter
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  142
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,064
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1,084
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  10/08/1967

you could also get information from  members who regularly travel around certain parts of the country as to exactly where some of the fairs are and how to get to them. this could be much faster if we all contributed.